• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Flag.

never thought I'd be typing those words in 2013. and it could be a total disaster.

I see they are playing at Riot fest that I just bought tix for.  I am curious to hear what you think.  Sounds like Greg Ginn and Ron Reyes are at least in the band which sounds promising.  Not sure I would want to see any Black Flag incarnation without Ginn.

I do like the sound of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKk6uKfRzOg&feature=player_embedded

to be honest, it was pretty easy to avoid the pit. my wife watched w/ another friend on the side balcony a bit. i was upfront for the first three but was getting bashed in pretty good so i retreated to side stage. this guy nearly took me out twice...luckily i picked him up just quickly enough to duck my head and gear.

3%20(4).jpg

Big Star tribute with a bunch of assorted musicians from good bands (I have no idea what this will be or what to expect, which is good!)  Here's the description:

Big Star’s "Third": An Orchestrated Live Performance of the Legendary Album along with a selection of earlier songs featuring: 

Jody Stephens (Big Star) / Mike Mills (R.E.M.)
Ken Stringfellow (The Posies, Big Star) / Chris Stamey (The dBs) 
Mitch Easter (Lets Active) / Gary Louris (The Jayhawks) 
Josh Caterer (Smoking Popes) / Ed Roeser (Urge Overkill) 
Sally Timms (The Mekons) / Tim Rutili (Califone)
Ken Vandermark and more - all backed by a chamber orchestra

Big Star tribute with a bunch of assorted musicians from good bands (I have no idea what this will be or what to expect, which is good!)  Here's the description:

Big Star’s "Third": An Orchestrated Live Performance of the Legendary Album along with a selection of earlier songs featuring: 

Jody Stephens (Big Star) / Mike Mills (R.E.M.)
Ken Stringfellow (The Posies, Big Star) / Chris Stamey (The dBs) 
Mitch Easter (Lets Active) / Gary Louris (The Jayhawks) 
Josh Caterer (Smoking Popes) / Ed Roeser (Urge Overkill) 
Sally Timms (The Mekons) / Tim Rutili (Califone)
Ken Vandermark and more - all backed by a chamber orchestra

Wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on Vandermark's performance - interesting gig for him.

Old 97s tonight, night 2 of a 3 night album-shows run, in Brooklyn. Trapper Schoepp and the Shades opened last night. They are awesome.

Just for you, calvino, a brief recap of the Big Star tribute show.  Overall, let's just call it a "noble but unsuccessful experiment".  It was a bit disorganized (lots of dead air between songs and calling for musicians who should be on stage), and didn't have much resonance for me.  

Mike Mills pretty much won the night with his excellent vocals (always thought he was underrated as a singer).  He looks so different now, I literally walked right past him in the street and didn't recognize him, even though REM was my Wilco in the late 80s and early 90s.  Your buddy Ken Vandermark didn't have much to do.  He came on to play the sax part on a couple of songs, but that was about it.  Gary Louris' first song "Dream Lover" didn't suit him too well, but he came back strong with the rest of his tunes, which I thought were very well done.  Louris and Mills seemed kind of awkward without their instruments and reminded me of that Elvis Costello lyric "the lonely hearts club clientele don't know what to do with their hands".  And why would you have a rock and roll hall of fame bass player (Mills) in your band and not let him play bass?