Old 97s tonight, night 2 of a 3 night album-shows run, in Brooklyn. Trapper Schoepp and the Shades opened last night. They are awesome.

I bet those shows were awesome. I want to see "Hitchhike To Rhome" one day in it's entirety. :thumbup

Tommorrow I am going to see AmericanaramA with my husband and my friend. So so so excited! 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for you, calvino, a brief recap of the Big Star tribute show.  Overall, let's just call it a "noble but unsuccessful experiment".  It was a bit disorganized (lots of dead air between songs and calling for musicians who should be on stage), and didn't have much resonance for me.  

Mike Mills pretty much won the night with his excellent vocals (always thought he was underrated as a singer).  He looks so different now, I literally walked right past him in the street and didn't recognize him, even though REM was my Wilco in the late 80s and early 90s.  Your buddy Ken Vandermark didn't have much to do.  He came on to play the sax part on a couple of songs, but that was about it.  Gary Louris' first song "Dream Lover" didn't suit him too well, but he came back strong with the rest of his tunes, which I thought were very well done.  Louris and Mills seemed kind of awkward without their instruments and reminded me of that Elvis Costello lyric "the lonely hearts club clientele don't know what to do with their hands".  And why would you have a rock and roll hall of fame bass player (Mills) in your band and not let him play bass? 

Thanks for your thoughts. It does seem odd that Mills didn't play bass.

Cyndi Lauper.   Kinda weird.  There's been zero promotion for this show.   A couple weeks ago my wife and I were listening to She's So Unusual and we vowed to go see her next time she came to town.  Then two days ago a friend mentioned it on FB, so we're going.

Me too!  I got a call from a friend at about 6:00 saying he had an extra ticket.  It was a great show.

(Wait - was I standing nextx to you?  Are you Chris C.'s neighbor?)

Sorry-- I'm not neighbors with a Chris. I was about 5 rows back in the middle section. I recorded a song from both B&S's set, and YLT's. Here's Belle & Sebastian's Another Sunny Day:

Sorry-- I'm not neighbors with a Chris. I was about 5 rows back in the middle section. I recorded a song from both B&S's set, and YLT's.

I stood next to a friend of a friend and he was wearing a Solid Sound shirt.  We chatted about Wilco for a while and he said SS was his 50th Wilco show.  I thought he said he was on this site but I didn't get his screen name. 

Anyway, nice work.  I think I was 12th row and over to your right.

I stood next to a friend of a friend and he was wearing a Solid Sound shirt.  We chatted about Wilco for a while and he said SS was his 50th Wilco show.  I thought he said he was on this site but I didn't get his screen name. 

Anyway, nice work.  I think I was 12th row and over to your right.

That's a lot of Wilco shows! I can't stop thinking about Yo La Tengo's set. Do you know the name of the last song they played? it was the longest "jam" of their set. I thought it was totally captivating.

Also, I'm glad that they got an hour. Turned out to be more of a co-headlining show than I expected.

Heartless Bastards tonight

I'm bummed I didn't go to the YLT and B&S show.  I could have picked up a good single ticket, but just lamed out and went home.  I'm not familiar with B&S at all, so it was easy to pass.  Even though my colleague at work was really talking them up (although she thought their set was not up to what she had seen previously from them.  she was their primarily for YLT).

YLT always tours...B&S, not so much.

some of my favorite B&S songs, if you wanna see if they are on Spotify or Youtube:

The Stars Of Track and Field

Like Dylan In The Movies

Dogs On Wheels

It Could Have Been A Brilliant Career

Fox In The Snow

I Fought In A War

Loneliness Of A Middle Distance Runner

YLT always tours...B&S, not so much.

some of my favorite B&S songs, if you wanna see if they are on Spotify or Youtube:

The Stars Of Track and Field

Like Dylan In The Movies

Dogs On Wheels

It Could Have Been A Brilliant Career

Fox In The Snow

I Fought In A War

Loneliness Of A Middle Distance Runner

Thanks for the tips

Giving Tree this coming Sunday night at Casa Santiago in Yorkville IL, starts at 7, free admitance! Most likely their acoustic set which means lots o' fiddle!