JT Solo Shows Announced

To each his own, I guess, but to me all these extra announcements just whet my appetite even more. I don't know why they didn't announce everything all at once, but I'm guessing it might have been that all the pieces and parts hadn't completely come together. But if it was a strategic marketing move, it has certainly worked on me. Each new announcement has gotten me even more excited for the tour. As you said, Choo-choo, we need to have faith that Jeff isn't going to let us down.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering if I'm the only person checking the Wilco/Shows page everyday half expecting the Wilco Lockin' dates to turn into TWEEDY dates?  I so hope this doesn't happen, but I really haven't heard much on the Wilco front and there haven't been other "Wilco" dates announced and they kinda stick out like that proverbial sore thumb.

That thought never occurred to me. Heaven forbid. I had bought my tickets and booked my trip before Wilco was even announced, but I would be hugely disappointed if this morphed into something other than Wilco playing 2 days at Lockn.

I also agree that Wilco means Wilco. I don't think they would do that, especially because of the nature of the festival. Some of the members of Wilco are known for collaborating with other artists, and I think that's part of the appeal of having them at this particular festival, which was specifically designed to encourage collaborations. As excited as I am for the upcoming Tweedy shows, I'm envisioning a joyous, energized Wilco reunion at Lockn'.

I hope we still get plenty of banter during the solo acoustic set of Wilco/UT material. The DC/Balto shows are my first proper JT solo shows, and from all the After the Show posts about solo shows, there's tons of audience interaction and an intimate feeling. But I am also super-excited about the new band and new material!

If it's billed currently by the festival as Wilco, why all the sudden would it change to just Tweedy- it wouldn't make sense. 

I'm not saying they will, I'm just saying they can and I have a bad feeling about this, that's all.  Everywhere they list a line up it also states "Artists are subject to change without notice".  I'm trying to think of another year where Wilco's only show was at a festival, I can't come up with one off the top of my head, everyday those dates sit alone up there makes me nervous.

I'm not saying they will, I'm just saying they can and I have a bad feeling about this, that's all.  Everywhere they list a line up it also states "Artists are subject to change without notice".  I'm trying to think of another year where Wilco's only show was at a festival, I can't come up with one off the top of my head, everyday those dates sit alone up there makes me nervous.

I understand your concern, but I very, very much doubt that Wilco HQ would be putting this out as Wilco proper without plans to make that happen.

My better bet is that sometime in the late Summer/ early Autumn is when we might see the juggernaut that is Wilco start up it's engines again. The last gigs for The Autumn Defense are currently in late June...Jeff's touring project currently sees it's last dates in late July, Nels major finale, as of now, is the residency in NYC in early August.

I'm still thinking about the 20th anniversary happening this year ("Since 1994; Wilco; Chicago"...live debut 11/17/94...first studio work June '94, first track released September '94...first album proper March '95) & the work that was begun on what will eventually be the follow up to "The Whole Love". So I wonder if we'll see them spending time recording & rehearsing in The Loft, & maybe doing some shows to commemorate that 20th anniversary dates.

My own personal dream would be to see some kind of multiple show runs/residencies in Chicago, NYC, LA etc., but we'll see. I've seen Jeff this year, & will be catching him/TWEEDY, & some Nels shows already this year, if we get some live Wilco shows later this year that'd just be even more amazing...and then in 2015 a new Wilco album, world tour & Solid Sound (& hopefully another year of those all request benefit gigs too- though their youngest son's tenure in that school must be near a close- the school goes through 8th grade)...

This afternoon, while driving around, I played the AGIB bonus CD and listened to Panthers for the first time in a while. It hit me that the new band's sound--and Jeff's new songs--might sound like something along those lines. I'm not good at articulating why, but something about the spare sound of that song just sounds like it might be a direction Jeff wants to be heading in.

Then again, maybe it'll be gangsta rap--who knows?? But I'm really enjoying speculating.

Ahem. I hate quoting myself, but I was really hoping some of you would chime in with your thoughts about what kind of sound we might be hearing from Jeff's new band. Nobody else wants to stick their neck out?

Does anyone have info about the Austin show? Specifically, if this will be standing room, GA?

I'm not sure about the venue and I can't find a lot of info on it other than it's at the university. The pics I could find were not very helpful. 

Trying to figure out how early we need to et there.

Thanks!

I would figure it sounds more like that "Raccoonists" material than something as old as Panthers, but I will admit I have no clue what to expect.

I do know that when the album comes out, there will be the inevitable thread here about why the live versions are so much better than the studio ones, or vice versa. :lol

Does anyone have info about the Austin show? Specifically, if this will be standing room, GA?

I'm not sure about the venue and I can't find a lot of info on it other than it's at the university. The pics I could find were not very helpful. 

Trying to figure out how early we need to et there.

Thanks!

I have never been but i ask a friend who saw Costello there a year or so ago, and he said it's a fairly small room with no chairs and he doesn't remember a balcony. Prepare to arrive an hour before the doors open if you want to be close was his advise.

I think I may have said this in another thread -- I'm just really curious as to what Tweedy songs weren't "fit" for Wilco and required a different band to present whatever sound Jeff is envisioning. I agree that he may not be interested in revisiting a sound that's 10 years old, but he very well may be going for that approach. I can't say I have any guesses as to what it's all going to sound like -- but if at the core there are simply great songs (as there have been in Wilco) I'm sure we'll enjoy some or much of it. I guess what's most interesting to me is what the rest of the band is going to sound like...

Yeah, just to be clear re my Panthers remark--I didn't mean I thought Panthers would be in the setlists, just that the haunting sound of that song might be sonically what this band might be good at and what Jeff is writing for. The Raccoonists/Deerhoof songs are also less guitar-driven than most Wilco songs. I think Darin Gray plays mainly stand-up bass, and Spencer's drumming--at least on the Mavis record--is also more spare and uncomplicated than Glenn's. As for the other musicians, I don't know much about Kids These Days or Eleventh Dream Day, so I can't hazard a guess as to what strengths those players bring to the band.

Well, we shall find out soon enough!!

I think I may have said this in another thread -- I'm just really curious as to what Tweedy songs weren't "fit" for Wilco and required a different band to present whatever sound Jeff is envisioning.

I don't know if it's about songs that were "fit" for Wilco, I seem to recall several quotes from various members of the band about new material sounding very nice and possibly more experimental.  Is it even possible for Jeff to write a song not "fit" for Wilco, what is Wilco but the delivery device for Jeff's songs and through the course of their existence the Wilco "sound" has changed many times.  I think it's possible he just enjoys playing with his son and wanted to do that and it's really as simple as that.  Pure speculation here, but I don't recall hearing mention of the current "solo" record until after his wife got sick, seems to me that's a pretty heavy load and really no better reason to look inward and just want to keep it in the family for now without having the "Wilco" label on it with all of those expectations.

Well, I'm just speculating like everyone else. I'm sure you have as good of an idea as I do, which really amounts to nothing. Yes, the Wilco sound has evolved over the years, and yes, at the center of it all are Jeff's songs. Like I said, I'm just curious as to how these songs got to the point where Jeff felt a different band would be the best way to present them, rather than through Wilco. Did Wilco work with these songs and then decide a different set of musicians should tackle them? Did Jeff write these songs from the start with Spencer / another group in mind as the collaborators? Will Wilco play some of these songs someday too? 

The Raccoonists/Deerhoof songs are also less guitar-driven than most Wilco songs. 

What Racoonists song were you listening to? The only one I heard on the 7" with Deerhoof was basically ALL guitar and drums... Granted, it was more "punk" and less "melodic" than most Wilco tunes- is there another track out there that I've not heard? 

What Racoonists song were you listening to? The only one I heard on the 7" with Deerhoof was basically ALL guitar and drums... Granted, it was more "punk" and less "melodic" than most Wilco tunes- is there another track out there that I've not heard? 

Just listened to those songs again and you're totally right. I don't know what I was thinking--the sound is just so different and I was going by my recollection. 

I went google crazy and tried to find other racoonist tunes.... nothing. :lol

i hope it's more along those lines/loose fur... we'll see in a few days. 

Though part of me wonders if they might leave the new material out of the road case downloads... because the record hasn't come out yet and stuff. 

Another part of me hopes the record is available for purchase from the shows and they're just not saying anything about it. Going totally DIY

I went google crazy and tried to find other racoonist tunes.... nothing. :lol

i hope it's more along those lines/loose fur... we'll see in a few days. 

Though part of me wonders if they might leave the new material out of the road case downloads... because the record hasn't come out yet and stuff. 

Another part of me hopes the record is available for purchase from the shows and they're just not saying anything about it. Going totally DIY

From my understanding (vial those press releases about the tour & album) the TWEEDY band section of the show is supposed to be highlighting that new album, so cutting those songs out of the Roadcase shows might constitute cutting out pretty substantial portions of those shows...more than what's been cut with the whole previous bizarre cutting all the song from "Wilco (The Album)" weirdness of last year- though for a couple shows it was substantial, IIRC, & I'd guess that had to do with some commercial rights to the material, that hopefully gets worked out someday (still hoping someday we actually will get those cut songs available for download in the future when things are resolved).

Just to hear the new band, I'd have bought those shows, but hearing the new album live is another big reason I went for the pre-order. I'm hoping that they are out soon after the shows are played. My chances for going to Pittsburgh are now getting slim, but I'm really hoping to at least have the download from that Detroit show before I head down to see the Baltimore & D.C. shows... getting that & seeing Jeff's set on the web simulcast for Mountain Jam on Saturday might have to suffice if Pittsburgh doesn't work out for me... also FYI- Mountain Jam is offering their webcast for free this year: All performances from the East and West stages will be webcast. Jeff Tweedy plays 2:30-3:45 Saturday, June 7.

http://mountainjam.com/webcast/