• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today (well, yesterday now) my favorite sports team won the World Series. They've given me 40 summers of joy with a good number of heartaches also. But they're my team, they were my first love (along

Hadn't heard this in a while. Honk.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KlckKFFc0    

Heck yeah the better team won! Braves fan since 1975. And that means I have suffered through many awful seasons. 2021 began as a mediocre season and ended with a championship. Hell of a ride. GO BRAVE

Posted Images

Today I'm reflecting on how low the Chicago Blackhawks have fallen. Last night's 6-1 loss really pushed them into the land of losers. Time to rebuild, start by trading Toews.

Today I'm reflecting on how low the Chicago Blackhawks have fallen. Last night's 6-1 loss really pushed them into the land of losers. Time to rebuild, start by trading Toews.

I'm sorry to say, this helps dull the sting of my Canucks sucking. Also Brock Boeser helps.

Be Decisive!

Don't look back. 

Unless you really want to, then go ahead.

The future is just so scary and unknown, living in the past with rose tinted glasses is just so much easier! 

I'm sorry to say, this helps dull the sting of my Canucks sucking. Also Brock Boeser helps.

The future is just so scary and unknown, living in the past with rose tinted glasses is just so much easier! 

Great Satchel Paige quote

: "Don't look back. Something may be gaining on you."

Today I quit  my band.

Does everyone else in the band know yet?

Does everyone else in the band know yet?

Yes.  I think I made my exit diplomatically and with no hard feelings.  Now I need to get another band going. Hopefully something drastically different, which is what I've always done when changing bands...and I seem to be the only person I've ever played with who was willing to quit a band. It's always me who quits.

Quitting can be a good thing.

I quit smoking (cigarettes) the Sunday after Thanksgiving. Hope you did, too.

Yes.  I think I made my exit diplomatically and with no hard feelings.  Now I need to get another band going. Hopefully something drastically different, which is what I've always done when changing bands...and I seem to be the only person I've ever played with who was willing to quit a band. It's always me who quits.

You're in it for the short haul.

You're in it for the short haul.

It might seem that way, but my last two bands were ten year affairs.  Quitting was probably overdue in both cases.  I guess before that, all the bands I was in ended after a couple years just because we were at the age when people go away to college, have kids, get careers, or just hanging it up.

I'm a day late with this, but last night I went to see George Saunders speak about "Lincoln in the Bardo" and on writing in general. Picked up a signed copy of the book also. 

I'm a day late with this, but last night I went to see George Saunders speak about "Lincoln in the Bardo" and on writing in general. Picked up a signed copy of the book also. 

I'll bet he was interesting! How nice that you were able to get an autographed copy.

I'll bet he was interesting! How nice that you were able to get an autographed copy.

It was a pretty cool way to spend a Tuesday evening. He was very interesting. I don't know if he makes a habit of it, but he used different colored pens or markers to sign the book. The ticket to the even was only $10, and it came with a $5 coupon for any of his books that were on sale at the event. 

I don't know if you've seen this graduation speech he wrote awhile back....I always thought it was one of the best graduation speeches I've ever heard.

https://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/31/george-saunderss-advice-to-graduates/

I haven't. Thanks so much for sharing!

ETA: I just read it and am on the brink of tears. How beautifully expressed and true.

Had a physical today and was hoping for a lecture about my weight (i've gained 20-25 lbs in the past year).  Instead my doc was very understanding and constructive, talking about plans for better health in general.  So annoying!

So it was day before yesterday, and not today, but I thought I'd share a brief story here.

I went out to eat with my wife and another couple, and walked into a surprise 50th birthday party. I was particularly surprised because my birthday was 5 weeks ago. There were friends there from my high school days, college, work, plus family. My kids were there (two came home from college), and a number of people flew in for it. It was great fun.

One person there was a former student, who I taught over 20 years ago. He and his wife and two-month old son drove up from NYC. Before he left the party, he encouraged me to open his gift. It was a framed, signed Wilco poster from the Portland, Maine show from this past summer. He told me the story behind it - he emailed Wilco's management that he was going to this surprise party for a former teacher in Maine who he had not seen in years, and he wondered if there was something signed that he could get for it. They replied back that they had a signed poster from the Portland show, and they sent it to him.

And now it is on the wall in my office.

I love Wilco.

So it was day before yesterday, and not today, but I thought I'd share a brief story here.

I went out to eat with my wife and another couple, and walked into a surprise 50th birthday party. I was particularly surprised because my birthday was 5 weeks ago. There were friends there from my high school days, college, work, plus family. My kids were there (two came home from college), and a number of people flew in for it. It was great fun.

One person there was a former student, who I taught over 20 years ago. He and his wife and two-month old son drove up from NYC. Before he left the party, he encouraged me to open his gift. It was a framed, signed Wilco poster from the Portland, Maine show from this past summer. He told me the story behind it - he emailed Wilco's management that he was going to this surprise party for a former teacher in Maine who he had not seen in years, and he wondered if there was something signed that he could get for it. They replied back that they had a signed poster from the Portland show, and they sent it to him.

And now it is on the wall in my office.

I love Wilco.

How like Wilco to do that! And how thoughtful of your former student. Happy 50th! A well-done surprise party can be such a joy...it sounds as if you were thoroughly celebrated!

Today it was announced that Chicago's premier rock n roll station, The Loop 97.9, has been sold to a Christian radio company. Omfg, rock n roll is in serious trouble here in Chi-town. I've been listening to The Loop since 1979. Where am I gonna get my dose of Thin Lizzy and Two for Tuesdays and Skynard and Rock Block Weekends and Led Zep? I'll be in seclusion.

Today it was announced that Chicago's premier rock n roll station, The Loop 97.9, has been sold to a Christian radio company. Omfg, rock n roll is in serious trouble here in Chi-town. I've been listening to The Loop since 1979. Where am I gonna get my dose of Thin Lizzy and Two for Tuesdays and Skynard and Rock Block Weekends and Led Zep? I'll be in seclusion.

Try: Any Classic Rock-Formatted Station in the U.S.?