He opened the show with the news. 12/21 is his last day. First The Loop getting snapped up by vengeful christians, now this, whoa.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today (well, yesterday now) my favorite sports team won the World Series. They've given me 40 summers of joy with a good number of heartaches also. But they're my team, they were my first love (along

Hadn't heard this in a while. Honk.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_KlckKFFc0    

Heck yeah the better team won! Braves fan since 1975. And that means I have suffered through many awful seasons. 2021 began as a mediocre season and ended with a championship. Hell of a ride. GO BRAVE

Posted Images

Today, I went to the local taco stand for a couple Al Pastor tacos. Brought them home and opened the bag to find four steak tacos instead.

Kinda. I had my heart set on Al Pastor because they are so darned tasty. I guess four steak tacos is a good consolation prize. Btw, they are now resting comfortably in my belly.

Kinda. I had my heart set on Al Pastor because they are so darned tasty. I guess four steak tacos is a good consolation prize. Btw, they are now resting comfortably in my belly.

Right. At least it wasn't chicken! 

"Out in the west Texas town of Al Pastor, NoJ fell in love with a Mexican steak taco...."

Today (like right now), my neighbor to the south is holed up in his house with a gun threatening violence. I have cops all over the place, armed with semi automatic weapons. Fun in unincorporated Will county! (fingers crossed that everyone will be ok)

Me too. Assuming everything is resolved peacefully, I wouldn't mind if this guy is moved elsewhere because he's been giving me and the family the creeps for a few years (only wears black pajama like clothing, apparently doesn't wash his hair, has had a few full-on screaming events in the darkened backyard).

Me too. Assuming everything is resolved peacefully, I wouldn't mind if this guy is moved elsewhere because he's been giving me and the family the creeps for a few years (only wears black pajama like clothing,...

Is he VC?

Resolved. He beat up his elderly parents, who then called the cops so he pulled the ol' pistol to the head standoff routine.

VC? That's how I was describing him, wearing Viet Cong clothing.

Turns out the guy was caught hiding in the backyard. He even took a walk around the neighborhood before being apprehended. It appears my local police department take a Mayberry approach to law enforcement. Really instills a sense of confidence, know what I mean?

• 2 weeks later...

Today, my favorite progressive radio station, WCPT 92.5, was bought by K Love and immediately switched the programming to lite xmas crap. Damn you k love, damn you to hell!!

At least the programming remains the same on 820AM. I needs my Stephanie Miller, Thom Hartman and Norman Goldman.

Anyone watching Blackhawks hockey lately? The first period of Saturdays game was easily the most awful, absolutely hilarious period of BH hockey I've seen in a decade. Woah boy do the Hawks stink!

(I posted the following on the FB, but some of y'all just don't go there).

Today…

…marks the one-year anniversary of my retirement from Lexmark, where I worked for 33 years.  My “plan” a year ago was to take a year off, decompress, travel, catch up on domestic honeydo’s… oh, and see at least 50 concerts.  Then figure out years 2 – n. 

I did take the year “kinda” off.  An opportunity to do some independent consulting came along in the summer, so I did that for about 3 months.  I liked it, and hope to do more.  Travel was great… new places like England’s countryside and Vancouver, and excellent revisits like Paris, Hilton Head, Chicago and Nashville.  Home projects were cut a little short by the consulting gig, but still managed to get the house trim painted, shutters fixed, and driveway sealed.  And concerts?  Oh yes.  53.  #bullblacknova count? 6.

Believe it or not, the best part was simply the decompression.  Time off.  A hiatus from workplace responsibility, the daily grind, and deadlines was amazing.  I can’t recommend it enough. “Refreshing” is a definite understatement.  I feel very fortunate, blessed, and grateful to have been able to do this.

So now we begin year 2, which I suspect will swing the balance back toward gainful employment a bit more at the expense of a little less couch time with Riley (let’s not tell him just yet).  I do plan to continue travels & concerts, and I don’t plan to get quite as worked up over work anymore.  I don’t have a specific goal for concerts, but you better believe that the nerd in me will totally be keeping score….

See you at the show.

Vince

P.S. just for the VC folks.... 

Speaking of hiatuses, I made my decision about retirement and the year off just BEFORE the Wilco hiatus was announced.  I really had planned / hoped to spend a year following the Wilco's around and trying out for alt-roadie or something.  So the hiatus announcement was quite a shock.  I did get to those last 3 shows in St Paul, with #bullblacknova sign in hand, along with a "Hiatus Schmiatus" sign that was fun... and managed to get 2 out of 3 hits on the Nova.  On night 3, Jeff saw the sign, gave me a friendly "no, you're not getting that one again.... you'll have to wait a year".  I did manage to get quite a few Jeff solo shots of Nova juice (6), but I figure I have an official IOU for a full band Nova very, very soon.  Hey, it's on the St Paul night #3 roadcase so I have evidence!  I was fortunate enough to get a lot of Jeff solo this year (7/53), but the hiatus did force me to expand my musical exposure quite nicely.  A full half of the shows were folks I'd never seen before.  Quite a year.

Today I listened as my seventh grade student relayed the story of discovering her older sister (20s) passed out from a heroin addiction. She's now in a coma. They were going to pull her off life support, but now is showing some positive signs. Seventh grade. Fuck...