It's been holding up for me as well. I still probably spin it 3-4 times a week because of how fun, quick, and different it is. I liked TWL and even W(tA), but I don't think I've given a Wilco record this much attention since Summerteeth (which I listened to lastish of their catalog in '10. Some of us had to catch up you know...).

Let's see if this makes sense to someone outside my head: There's an asymmetry and dischord that Wilco has played around with since YHF, but I feel like Star Wars is the first time they ever let it dominate more than just a song here and there on an album. This album seems to be built on the concept. And it's always been one of my favorite things about the bands albums since YHF. I was actually surprised Jim O'Rourke wasn't involved with this one because of it. I've been mentally drafting an essay on this topic but I haven't had time to take it further.

As an aside, Summerteeth was the first Wilco album I heard, back when it came out in '99. I actually heard one of the songs on the radio, which would still be surprising for this area if it ever happened again. I hated the album at first when I bought it, but I was strangely compelled to listen to it over and over and by the fifth time through I was enamored.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see if this makes sense to someone outside my head: There's an asymmetry and dischord that Wilco has played around with since YHF, but I feel like Star Wars is the first time they ever let it dominate more than just a song here and there on an album. This album seems to be built on the concept. And it's always been one of my favorite things about the bands albums since YHF. I was actually surprised Jim O'Rourke wasn't involved with this one because of it. I've been mentally drafting an essay on this topic but I haven't had time to take it further.

As an aside, Summerteeth was the first Wilco album I heard, back when it came out in '99. I actually heard one of the songs on the radio, which would still be surprising for this area if it ever happened again. I hated the album at first when I bought it, but I was strangely compelled to listen to it over and over and by the fifth time through I was enamored.

I guess it depends on what you mean by "asymmetry and discord". Would you mind defining it? I mean, "Misunderstood" or "Via Chicago" could easily be fall under the discord label and songs like "Pieholden Suite" and "Shot in the Arm" could be seen as asymmetrical but maybe I'm being to literal?

Tonight is the first Jeff Tweedy solo show since the release of Star Wars. I don't think we ever found out what he did at the charity thing a few weeks ago. Jeff also has a performance on Monday night. 

What songs from Star Wars will he play?

I'll guess Taste the Ceiling and Magnetized. King of You would be cool solo too.

Now that the record (do you still call them records? I do.) has been out almost half a year, I can say the only thing I am not overly fond of is Jeff's doubled vocals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...