I wonder if/when we'll get a single this time. I'd love to get If I Ever Was A Child on 7" before the LP comes out. I still spin Random Name Generator 7" occasionally. 

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be that guy:

Wilco (The Album)

Star Wars

Schmilco

Wilco is falling into a pattern of lazy album titles.  I prefer bands come up with their own shit.  I can't fault them on the quality of the music, however, and that's the main thing that matters.  But still, it's all part of the package, and I prefer none of it be lazy. 

I don't know what band you've been listening to but this is a band that named an album after the punchline of a joke (Summerteeth), two after films (Being There and Star Wars, which has already been stated), and had a self-titled album with a camel's birthday party on it. I've also never been under the impression that A.M. was a good title or had great album art. Maybe you missed the underlying humor in Wilco's music and consider them only to be super-serious, but I have to say, you would be missing out on something that is essential to the band. Songs like "I'm A Wheel" or "Theologians" are perfectly saddled with songs like "At Least That's What You Said" and "Muzzle of Bees". Being There wouldn't be half as great without songs like "Why Would You Wanna Live?", "Kingpin" or a song lyrically about cleaning recording equipment as a broke band sung with all the heartbreak in the world (Red-Eyed and Blue).  Is Schmilco the best album name? No. Does it sound like a Wilco album name? Absolutely. 

I remember Jeff saying that when they made agib they had material to make a garage/punk record, a noise rock record and a folk record but they ended up weaving an eclectic album. A while before the Whole Love they talked about doing a double album with rippers on one disc and a sad/beautiful second disc. Once again it didn't happen that way.

I think the one-two punch of Star Wars and Schmilco is the boys finally getting to do something they've talked about for years.

I remember thinking that an AGIB era double album could be made with The Wilco Book material.

At one time I really wanted to try to sequence one. I haven't listened to it all in a while to remember what ideas I had.

I asked a journalist acquaintance who has heard the album what to expect, expressing my preference for their loud, asymmetrical stuff and he said it's "quite loud and definitely asymmetrical. Maybe not so much peppy." He also said it's amazing. Which I took as a given. :)

I asked a journalist acquaintance who has heard the album what to expect, expressing my preference for their loud, asymmetrical stuff and he said it's "quite loud and definitely asymmetrical. Maybe not so much peppy." He also said it's amazing. Which I took as a given. :)

Eh. I was hoping for more of the "country" vibe Jeff referenced and/or the sound of "If I Ever Was a Child." 

Wilco Schmilco is an obvious reference to Nilsson Schmilsson , which is in turn genius on its own right.

This is why I love the album name. Regardless, I'm excited based off of "If I Ever War a Child". My fiance who largely cannot understand what I see in Wilco thoroughly enjoyed it.

So I've got a ton of black 180g Wilco wax. All sound great. But can anyone shed any light of the quality of the colored versions they do? They're only 145g. I know typically colored records suffer in sound quality. Thanks!

180g vinyl sounds the same as standard vinyl. That whole thing is an old hi fi myth. The thicker slab is just less likely to warp if mistreated but the same grooves.

Color is tricky. Generally colored vinyl is not as good as black, but I can't recall why. It's a subtle difference and I've been told some plants press colored that sounds as good as black.

that cover is glorious.

best cover since SBS, easily.

Yeah, I really dig it too.

I'm awfully fond of the Star Wars artwork, aside from the workmanlike studio photo in the gatefold which has been unfortunately been typical of the last couple of releases.

I don't know what band you've been listening to but this is a band that named an album after the punchline of a joke (Summerteeth), two after films (Being There and Star Wars, which has already been stated), and had a self-titled album with a camel's birthday party on it. I've also never been under the impression that A.M. was a good title or had great album art. Maybe you missed the underlying humor in Wilco's music and consider them only to be super-serious, but I have to say, you would be missing out on something that is essential to the band. Songs like "I'm A Wheel" or "Theologians" are perfectly saddled with songs like "At Least That's What You Said" and "Muzzle of Bees". Being There wouldn't be half as great without songs like "Why Would You Wanna Live?", "Kingpin" or a song lyrically about cleaning recording equipment as a broke band sung with all the heartbreak in the world (Red-Eyed and Blue).  Is Schmilco the best album name? No. Does it sound like a Wilco album name? Absolutely. 

Ok, I'm sold.  Wilco has always had tossed-off album names.  Fortunately, they've been on a roll with the music, so that makes up for it.

180g is more durable, and bodes much better for long term collection. I have colored vinyl that is 180g, so I'm not sure why they insist on releasing it on a lower weight.

I've heard "picture" vinyl have a drop in sound quality due to the photo coating. I don't see why the color would make a difference.

180g is more durable, and bodes much better for long term collection. I have colored vinyl that is 180g, so I'm not sure why they insist on releasing it on a lower weight.

Surely the price for colored vinyl raw materials is higher than black.

Some pressing plants will not press 180g colored vinyl.  Like these folks:

http://gottagrooverecords.com/vinyl-colors/

"We do not press 180 gram color vinyl.  180 gram vinyl is only available in audiophile black vinyl."