• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider Random Name Generator to be part of a wonderful line of Wilco word play songs like "Pot Kettle Black" (which is my favorite on YHF), " I'm a Wheel", "Kingpin", and to some degree the most successful of them all, "You Are My Face" because the word play is interwoven into a more focused song. But I do think that those used to be more nestled in with songs that felt more urgent. I will parrot Albert Tatlock in pointing to "Where do I Begin" as being a really powerful song. Personally I would also say that everything from "Taste the Ceiling" to "Magnetized" with the exception of maybe "Pickled Ginger" are part of an overarching lyrical theme.

Exactly. There's as much emotion in RNG as there is in songs like Jesus Etc. or At Least That's What You Said. I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding/deciphering Jeff's indirect lyrics and write those songs off as nonsense songs, but if you look at those lyrics there's plenty there, even if Jeff tends to disguise their meaning.

I change my name every once in a while

A miracle every once in a while

I'm almost certain this is Jeff responding to criticism about Wilco not making a record that sounds like Wilco.

Come on, cuff me to the weed with some wine

If I miss your breeze or you miss mine

I kinda like it when I make you cry

A miracle every once in a while

That right there is just as poetic as anything else that Wilco has done.

Yeah, everyone seems to love the Pro-Ject turntables. I use an Audio Technica ATPL120, but I'll probably get a Pro-Ject at some point. The only thing that concerns me is that in order to switch speeds you have to remove the platter and adjust the belt.

I have a Rega P3, and also have to move the belt to switch speeds. Which likely explains why I've never played or purchased a 45 rpm vinyl since I got it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, I guess my post isn't easy to understand.  It's not the lack of emotion in the lyrics that I miss.  Some have stated that Jeff has written some really incredible lyrics for both Sukiarie and Star Wars.  Agreed.  He is an epic storyteller!  I liked Star Wars!  I even liked The Whole Love.  Sukiarie, not so much.  I am going to try one more time.  Not ONE song has grabbed me and left me wanting to play it over and over since YHF.  I can't explain it, and it's just me and my opinion.  I don't know the reason.  Maybe I need therapy...

So Wilco starts their fall Midwest tour in two days. Do you think they will

a. "Leak" and/or stream Schmilco in the next couple of days?

b. Perform some new tracks without the album being out there?

c. Stick with the Star Wars tour setlists for the time being?

It would be a very Wilco thing to do to have Schmilco appear on their website before this week is over...

Everytime Wilco announces a new album and tour they always start the tour far away from where I live. It gives me anxiety waiting for months after an album comes out to see Wilco. I watch the setlist and get jealous. Anyhoo WILCO COME TO NJ SOON! I NEED MY SCHMILCO LIVE!

I hope A, think B and would be disappointed with C. There hasn't been much promotion for Schmilco! yet. I haven't seen a single interview. No promotion performances are lined up that we know of. It is an interesting approach.

So Wilco starts their fall Midwest tour in two days. Do you think they will

a. "Leak" and/or stream Schmilco in the next couple of days?

b. Perform some new tracks without the album being out there?

c. Stick with the Star Wars tour setlists for the time being?

It would be a very Wilco thing to do to have Schmilco appear on their website before this week is over...

a.   No

b.  Yes...at least the 2 already out

c.  4-5 songs from SW

and I hope they do away with the hootannie (spelling?)

I will be seeing the show in Madison...so getting fired up.

It'd be nice if they'd play the album in full, similar to how they were playing Star Wars in order, but without posting it online first so we can experience the album for the first time live. 

Also not trying to be rude but doing away with the hootenanny is the worst idea I've ever heard, acoustic Wilco is just so good. 

It'd be nice if they'd play the album in full, similar to how they were playing Star Wars in order, but without posting it online first so we can experience the album for the first time live. 

Also not trying to be rude but doing away with the hootenanny is the worst idea I've ever heard, acoustic Wilco is just so good. 

I agree with you on that point...just don't like it at the end.  When they did the original Evening with during the middle, it was better.  I know that the logistics of setup and breakdown was not what they wanted and maybe why they changed to the end.

I saw 3 shows in a row last year in FLA and the last one at Sunfest (festival) had electric encore and that show sticks with me more than the other two.

UGH, Chicago already got Star Wars.  They shouldn't book a handful of dates, just before a release drops, to milk us of more Star Wars touring money.  I bought tickets to the Chicago show based on "very special guests".   As fine as Twin Limb is, they don't fit "very special guest" to me.

I agree with you on that point...just don't like it at the end.  When they did the original Evening with during the middle, it was better.  I know that the logistics of setup and breakdown was not what they wanted and maybe why they changed to the end.

I saw 3 shows in a row last year in FLA and the last one at Sunfest (festival) had electric encore and that show sticks with me more than the other two.

I would be fine if they moved away from the hootenanny encore if only because they are rather static. Maybe I'm jaded because of Solid Sound as well as the notion that each tour will have less and less of each album, but I've seen the hootenany three times now (SS and Boston two nights) and I would be perfectly content if I didn't hear another acoustic show (outside of an evening with scenario) for a good while. There are just too many songs I want to hear full body again or even for the first time.

UGH, Chicago already got Star Wars.  They shouldn't book a handful of dates, just before a release drops, to milk us of more Star Wars touring money.  I bought tickets to the Chicago show based on "very special guests".   As fine as Twin Limb is, they don't fit "very special guest" to me.

Oh well that's typical Wilco for ya, milking its fans of their money.

Oh well that's typical Wilco for ya, milking its fans of their money.

Maybe milk was the wrong word, but still, play two songs because the album hasn't come out yet?  Why schedule shows 3 weeks early then?  The Chicago date was promoted first, with the words "very special guest", sounds like it will be just another date now.  Guess the only hope is it's a Sunday show, as goes fore most bands, "don't miss a Sunday show", we will see.

there sure is a lot of whining and crying in this thread.

PSA:

Hi everyone, I would like to remind you that Wilco is putting out a new album in less than a month.

Jeff has described it as "fucked up country", and "more spacey and folky".

Please be excited.

The shows leading up to the Chicago show were promoted as Star Wars tour ("This tour supports of the release of the acclaimed Chicago sextet's Grammy nominated, Star Wars" their typo not mine) so we shouldn't be surprised if they continue to play a generous portion of those songs during those shows.

Critics have the album. Steven Hyden has tweeted about it "really good" "a cross of Star Wars and the acoustic songs on The Whole Love" "spare & gutted, feels like a solo-is LP"

The shows leading up to the Chicago show were promoted as Star Wars tour so we shouldn't be surprised if they continue to play a generous portion of those songs during those shows.

Critics have the album. Steven Hyden has tweeted about it "really good" "a cross of Star Wars and the acoustic songs on The Whole Love" "spare & gutted, feels like a solo-is LP"

Black Moon and Rising Red Lung are my favorites on The Whole Love, if this is to be believed, I am not yet worthy of this record.

I've seen Wilco a bunch of times and will be seeing them Friday in Madison for the first time in a few years, so I have yet to hear any Star Wars stuff live. I say bring it on! Although I would like to hear some nice rarer gems mixed in, I'm pretty excited to hear stuff from Star Wars.