Any chance you can post the entire article? Looks like one as to create a user ID to access and I don't want to do that...

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wednesday at Euclid Records. In-Store.

"This Wednesday, Aug. 17 at 3pm, Wilco stops by Euclid Records (Jeff’s former employer) in St. Louis for an in-store performance and signing before their show at The Fabulous Fox. First 150 to preorder "Schmilco" at Euclid will receive a guaranteed-entry wristband."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a feeling that I'll be listening to this before that local store event. It seems like just a matter of time before this hits the net. Plus, I thought the pre orders shipped early? So I find the idea of a listening party a little silly. I guess it's cool though.

Has anybody hear of this being done before? I have to admit that I don't really get it. Are people just going to stand around the record store or wander around while the music is played? I can't think of a time where I've been standing up concentrating on music. I'm usually either seat (car seat, couch) or out getting exercise/commuting.

What will these listening events be like? Is there a host?

I went to a similar thing for the new Radiohead album. There weren't a lot of people there, and I just basically wandered around the store for a while, rifling through their stock while the music played, and it was very low key, but I enjoyed it! Sadly there is no store close enough to me for the Schmilco event. But I'd say it's worth going to.

Glenn:

“Whereas the ‘Schmilco’ stuff, I might use more brushes, more nuance. Some of my jazz drumming past might come out.”  Kotche said that, to some degree, he missed the experience of having all six Wilco members together in the studio working on songs.

http://host.madison.com/ct/entertainment/music/wilco-s-heavy-metal-drummer-glenn-kotche-can-play-quietly/article_2e59b867-b35a-5a2c-9b2c-ca000741561d.html

So that interview kinda proves that star

Wars / Schmilco are really Jeff solo albums that he had the rest of the guys work on seperately.

If there is one thing you can tell about whole love was that it felt like a collabrotive album.

I'm ok with it. But I think that comes out pretty apparent in the recordings

So that interview kinda proves that star

Wars / Schmilco are really Jeff solo albums that he had the rest of the guys work on seperately.

If there is one thing you can tell about whole love was that it felt like a collabrotive album.

I'm ok with it. But I think that comes out pretty apparent in the recordings

I really think - and still do - that Sky Blue Sky is the most collaborative record they've done with the post-2004 line-up. But that's me...

I thought initially that Star Wars sounded pretty organic and collaborative, but that's obviously not the case with that one or Schmilco. Something about that working method depresses me in a kind of unexplainable sort of way. Wilco are a bit of a strange group nowadays, but I think things are improving again...maybe, I'm not sure.

I think about The National in a similar regard, though they've never regained my attention since they hit it big after High Violet,  started living in different cities and their output and performances - to my ears - became infinitely boring and dull. Their gig in Adelaide back in 2011 was one of the most crushingly boring gigs I've ever attended...and I say that as someone who was a huge fan during their earlier years.

It would be great to see Wilco again. The last time they hit up my fair city was back in 2003 for the Big Day Out on a punishingly hot day in January. I've got fond memories of meeting the guys at a local record store signing. Smiles all round, except for Jeff who was in an absolutely foul mood.

Anyway, before I go off on even more of a tangent I'll stop there.

Sure this stuff is subjective, but I think the data is showing both The Whole Love to be just as collaborative as SBS and that in the case of The National, Trouble Will Find Me is even better than High Violet. Think what you will, but I'm just running the numbers.

But in all seriousness, I think what the process of Star Wars and ostensibly Schmilco has allowed for is a lighter touch, something this incarnation of the band has never been able to use.  There are too many geniuses with too much focus doing too few drugs for things not to get worked over very thoroughly with everyone present.  Clearly when that happens, amazing and crystalline things get captured for our enjoyment. Their current method of people dropping in the studio and dubbing onto rough songs already in progress allows for something different.  I really like both.  I'm glad to get a couple albums with the current tone they're capturing.  I hope they might follow with something more communal in the future.

I really think - and still do - that Sky Blue Sky is the most collaborative record they've done with the post-2004 line-up. But that's me...

I thought initially that Star Wars sounded pretty organic and collaborative, but that's obviously not the case with that one or Schmilco. Something about that working method depresses me in a kind of unexplainable sort of way. Wilco are a bit of a strange group nowadays, but I think things are improving again...maybe, I'm not sure.

The band goes through phases. I think SBS was collaborative, but to an extreme. Glenn has implied in the past that it wasn't a fun project for him because creating the songs by committee meant that he had to play very basic parts on many of the songs to keep everybody happy.

I personally don't need the creative/recording process to be in any particular form, but it is interesting to hear about it.

The band goes through phases. I think SBS was collaborative, but to an extreme. Glenn has implied in the past that it wasn't a fun project for him because creating the songs by committee meant that he had to play very basic parts on many of the songs to keep everybody happy. 

Interesting point. The one anomoly on Sky Blue Sky is Glenn's very restrained playing - almost strict time keeping throughout, save for a bit of expression here and there. 

But in all seriousness, I think what the process of Star Wars and ostensibly Schmilco has allowed for is a lighter touch, something this incarnation of the band has never been able to use. 

That sounds like a description of SBS to me.

Based on my limited knowledge, it seems that Jeff wrote a ton of new material, and just hand picked what he thought would work as Tweedy songs, and what would work as Wilco songs. Possible the Wilco songs needed something more, that the rest of the gang came to help out on.

There are a number of bands (and especially pop stars) that record separate tracks and then mix them all together for the end process. It's nothing new. But I do think it takes a little away from the overall coherence of an album. It's also a lot less romantic to think of the album being put together in pieces instead of days of sitting in the studio and working things out as a group.

If you follow Radiohead, you'll know that their latest album was the result of many months holed up in a French studio laying down tracks and experimenting. They even had the artist present creating variations of the album art while they worked. That's a much more collaborative effort.