I was looking through Twitter to find any info about the Salt Lake City show and came across this pic. It's from Boo Boo Records and this should be what every record store will have on tap Tuesday the 6th for the Schmilco listening parties.

image.jpg

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone somewhat close to the matter, I have to say that early album leaks rarely happen these days. Don't know if that's due to safety precautions, or the 'music scene' just losing interest in taking the effort. Lately, I've only seen pre-release leaks from bands who decided to send out early mp3 copies to those who preordered the album. Which definitely isn't the case with Schmilco.

By the way, 9/9 is going to be an insane release day.

That Jack White acoustic record comes out too. That's all that I'm aware of though.

I know the new Head and the Heart record comes it that day, I wasn't tracking the Jack White one. Plus everything else that was mentioned in this thread.

It's going to be a good week for music.

Per a direct request from the band and as a personal favor to me and our staff, I ask that all our members refrain from any sharing of Schmilco, and that members report anyone who is actively doing so.

We don't want to spoil any of the band's carefully planned listening parties!

Thank you.

I have zero interest in hearing a leaked version. 

I wish I could say the same--I want to listen now!--but I can wait. I'll enjoy the listening party (and my pre-ordered CD) more if I resist, resist, resist...

I just got it officially, via Frocksteady, the EU Wilco store. They sent me the download link, and told me the LP is on its way to me.

I haven't listened yet, but the record is out there now, legally, for some. :banana

I'm guessing that means people who preordered it from Kung Fu are getting it next? :excited:

Per a direct request from the band and as a personal favor to me and our staff, I ask that all our members refrain from any sharing of Schmilco, and that members report anyone who is actively doing so.

Thank you.

Agreed! Quit snooping- its not Xmas yet!

Thank you.

I just got it officially, via Frocksteady, the EU Wilco store. They sent me the download link, and told me the LP is on its way to me.

I haven't listened yet, but the record is out there now, legally, for some.  :banana

I absolutely want to honor the band's wishes & make sure that those listening parties are a joyous, surprising, grand premiere event. There was the Yang of the instantaneous drop & free download of "Star Wars" & now balance is being brought back to the force with the veiled, who's knows what it is, secrecy & unveiling at coordinated events. 

This clearly means something to folks (Wilco) who have brought lots of meaningful things into our lives. Making those parties a wonderful celebration of sharing for the community (the same kind that travels to Solid Sound & multiple show runs & gathers here) was something I was really looking forward to, with lots of friends & loved ones in nearby Rochester, NY at the amazing juggernaut of sonic goodness & cultural sharing that is the Record Archive.

Sadly I'm out of town now (happily in New Jersey for various  wondrous reasons) & I had originally hoped to be able to set aside time to get to someplace. I'd even mapped them all out. The nearest event is 90 minutes away & that would involve traveling to Philly or Brooklyn.There exists a slim outside chance that I might end up going & hitting a few guitar shops & such suchery (Brooklyn could involve a few old friends), but... as my plans have solidified & evolved, it's very clear that my working vacation is now going to involve some pretty demanding things (with less down time) & the more probable scenario is that I won't be able to make anything, anywhere on Sept. 6th.

Initially there was the enticing possibilities of what videos of new songs might pop up from the few live shows that were happening before the 6th, coupled with the acoustic versions of songs Jeff had played at thePickathon broadcast set. Then when it leaked to the 10 folks via the glitch at Kung Fu, that was one thing. Finally there was all the excitement & drama here last night as good intentioned & generous Spirits, who clearly just didn't wanna wait, shared the bounty of the actual global public internet file leak last night. I was among those who were so Blessed. Then word came down from the band about it, & folks have made their choices about that, I'm guessing with most showing respect & some, inevitably, not so much.

But now, with it being released for download officially in Europe, we have to recognize that there is a operational error here that dwarfs the leak to 10 folks via Kung Fu. Pandora's proverbial box is now open, in a major way & it was the Wonka factory team themselves, & specifically whatever Oompa-Loompas that are in charge of the EU operation, who have let cases & cases of the everlasting gobstopper that is "Schmilco" hit the streets the Friday before the big event next Tuesday.

Everyone is going to make their own choices here (as it is with all of life). My situation was such that I was going to miss the Psychedelic paddle boat ride through the tunnel on the 6th & have to wait for the Wonkavator on the 9th anyhow so I was really thrilled to get the early present for my 6 hour drive to New Jersey this Saturday. I could hear it, repeatedly, and, then try out my CD-R (it all fits) of the greatest found double album that (n)ever was- "Star Wars"/"Schmilco" to boot. That's my listening party, a party of one, but a celebration still.

With the gobstopper now out on the streets via Frocksteady, I'm going to make a plea here about something. What seems to matter to the inner circle here (Wilco) is that the surprise & sharing doesn't get deflated by the leaks. To continue the Wonka metaphors, another facet of what they are offering to us is part secret everlasting gobstopper & also part fizzy lifting drink. The leaks here function as burping, the more belching, the less lifting. So too many leaks & the arc of the buoyancy of the fizzy lifting part of "Schmilco" takes a sad downward turn & descends back from the dizzy cloud land towards a potentially harsh landing on terra firma.

The gang at Wilco-Wonka productions have worked hard to make something wondrous, & they want to present it in a certain fashion that brings them joy. If they have brought you joy, respect that they are shining a light on a facet of this that actually really means something to them. These events & all the fun little anticipation building sharing going on now is something they enjoy about the joy we are all in the midst of sharing .(The Hodgman,Offerman & Hamm videos, all the stores/center involved etc., etc.- BTW I now think Hodgman, Offerman & Hamm should do some kind of a project together, just to use that CSN sorta name for themselves). And now that security has really seriously been breached, maybe it's time for us to all channel our inner-Charlies & rise to the occasion. We can only do what we can do under the unfortunate circumstances. But with that their world just got a little wearier, so let's shine some good deeds...What I'd suggest is to see how many like Spirited folks anyone can gather to get together at these get togethers to make them seriously fun affairs. And then share with those who've shared with us. Go to the facebook page & tell them what happened at your event. Tell you story of discovery & surprise to them.

When your parents did the do at Xmas, it was the process of the joy of giving & sharing that drove those wheels of the best part of a holiday that's a real mixed bag in this culture (see Sufjan Stevens wonderful writings on it). If you are now in that role yourself, how would you feel being robbed of that? So, what's happened has happened, but, coordinating so that the majority of folks can share in the momentum of the energy that's building towards the 6th here just involves respect. I was on the verge of sharing the files last night with about a dozen really close friends who are all huge fans, many of whom I've traveled to Solid Sound with. When I read the note here, I stopped & put my gobstopper back on the desk. I'd shared with a few folks & lucky they were.

And I'll be honest, there are others I know who can't make it on the 6th & I personally will consider sharing with them, but only after I explain the whole situation that's going on. If I share this anymore at all, it will be with only the closest of the close & only with those who can't make it on the 6th(I can't count those on one hand & I'm actually quite deeply in love with one of those fingers, so there...true love, as always, trumps everything else) . I'm OK with them choosing between now & the 9th (like I did). I really wish I could be there on the 6th myself, but now it really doesn't look possible. Since I can't be there, this is what I can do... to try to show respect & reverence towards the Magic that's been made. Respect & reverence for Magic make for lives filled with more Love & Light...Imagine a little more of that & your part in that, if you will... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2pt2-F2j2g

When your parents did the do at Xmas, it was the process of the joy of giving & sharing that drove those wheels of the best part of a holiday that's a real mixed bag in this culture (see Sufjan Stevens wonderful writings on it). If you are now in that role yourself, how would you feel being robbed of that? 

um, are you telling me Santa doesn't exist and it was my parents giving me gifts all along?  :chatterbox Great, Christmas is now spoiled forever!