Caught a bit of CNN town hall last night. Of course, NRA's answer is to fortify all schools. I guess I need to give Rubio credit for showing up - he definitely was in the hot seat. Tapper did a decent job of keeping everything in check - as well as the kids/adults asking the questions.

The talk about fortifying schools from the victims and the NRA, rather than trying to curb guns, was unsettling, though. It shouldn't be discussion on the fortification of schools, but guns. My wife always likes to point out that our kids go outside for recess and gym -- how is one going to fortify a school's playground/field. Jokingly, I said snippers on all school roofs when kids are outside  - she wasn't too amused.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The talk about fortifying schools from the victims and the NRA, rather than trying to curb guns, was unsettling, though. It shouldn't be discussion on the fortification of schools, but guns. My wife always likes to point out that our kids go outside for recess and gym -- how is one going to fortify a school's playground/field. Jokingly, I said snippers on all school roofs when kids are outside  - she wasn't too amused.

Basically, mini-prisons. For a nice, foreboding atmosphere. Pretty much the lowest-hanging fruit proposal, imo.

the next logical question is then, where does this end?

are school buses equipped with an armed driver? how about college campuses? school field trips?

I propose Trump and his ilk expand the wall concept to all of our boarders and bring that snipers-in-towers idea to the entire perimeter. 

Basically, mini-prisons. For a nice, foreboding atmosphere. Pretty much the lowest-hanging fruit proposal, imo.

That is exactly what the NRA lady was implying last night. Crazy thing is that some of the victims and the sheriff sharing the stage with her were supporting it. It just seems so ass backwards.

The Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Act (aka, the Federal Assault Weapons ban) ran from 1994-2004. So it expired during the Bush era. The mass shootings we have had since then are off the chain That's where the solution needs to begin. It won't end all mass shootings, but getting those guns off the streets and out of the hands of most civilians can at least stem the tide of blood.

So Trump says that an armed teacher "would have shot to hell" the shooter, but calls the armed guard that they did have there a coward for taking cover and doing nothing... 

Our president is a fucking moron.  

The call for more guns have never been and never will be about safety.  It is about selling guns.  Plus the sheer cost of arming or "fortifying" schools would be outrageous (though if it were to happen through it probably would be spun as an increase to school spending). 

Our president is a fucking moron.  

The call for more guns have never been and never will be about safety.  It is about selling guns.  Plus the sheer cost of arming or "fortifying" schools would be outrageous (though if it were to happen through it probably would be spun as an increase to school spending). 

Don't forget about the boost to the economy from more gun sales and more fortifying. It's a no-brainer: 2nd Amendment secured, schools are "safe", more guns in circulation, kids growing up surrounded by adults with guns which may make the next generations pro-gun, an increase in school spending, a boost to gun manufacturers, a boost to the economy. Why didn't we think of this before? Win-win-win-win-win-win-win!

I am so sick of winning.

My wife and I had our first real conversation today about moving to Canada. Not because Trump is President, but because there are so many idiots in the US, coupled with a good chunk of folks whose values are not in the same galaxy as ours. It's the last point that is really moving the needle for us. We will wait to see what our fellow citizens do in the midterms, and we'll decide from there.

Wait - he's clarified his statement - you see, the armed guards who are already at school aren't effective because "they don't love the children."

So many cops assigned to schools who are really great people and care a lot about the students at their schools- those folks must be really pissed at this statement.

So many cops assigned to schools who are really great people and care a lot about the students at their schools- those folks must be really pissed at this statement.

So I guess the new slogan that Trump is pushing is “It takes a good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun, unless the good guy is a pussy who doesn’t want to get shot. In that case a teacher definitely will shoot the bad guy to hell. Believe me. “

The dotard yet again hit a new bottom today stating he would've run into that high school, without a weapon, to confront the shooter.

The silver lining was the belly laugh that statement gave me. Imagine that guy running. The only running he can do is with Russian assistance.