• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dire Straits - Making Movies

B00004Y6NX.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Been loving it for 26 years

KID A is just edging out YHF for my top spot. There is not one weak song on either album (and all you Treefingers haters--it's a necessary transition song into the isle of despair that are the next 2 songs). I can just put the CD on (or vinyl for Kid A) and sit back and enjoy. That's how I actually got into Wilco; I read a review by David Fricke that said YHF was "radiohead on cow-pies".

I wonder if 2 albums that came out when I was 14 are going to be my favorites for life...

Frank Zappa & The Mothers of Invention - One Size Fits All

It's a desert island pick that's been at or near the top of my list for over 20 years. Epic, timeless, stunning, and has something for everybody, from jazz-rock to great vocal performances and some of Zappa's greatest guitar work.

I'll add to the growing list for "Born To Run." I don't know if there's any other album that packs as much of an emotional wallop. The title track is as perfect a rock song as has ever been written, "Backstreets," is as depressing and inspiring as they come, "Thunder Road," "Jungleland," "Meeting Across The River." They're all so epic. It seems as if they were written with a very cinematic flare, I can close my eyes and see feature length films playing out to the stories and characters. The overall flow, production, playing and cohesiveness of the record is top notch to me. I don't think it can be touched. "The poets down here don't right nothin' at all/ They just stand back and let it all be." Excellent!

#1-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

Runners up:

Whiskeytown - Strangers Almanac

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

...Trail of Dead - Source Tags and Codes

I threw the album out the window after the first 3 songs and then went on a killing spree smashing anything i could...i could not believe and still cant believe people actually think this is good music.probably the single most overrated album in history.Is he all out of song's? Or is he playing that let's turn into an idie myth game.... :blink

Aeroplane is probably in my top 20. Gorgeous Gorgeous album. I cried in a corner after I heard it the first time, and couldn't think straight for days.
Live Dead

I can listen to that transition from "Mountains of the Moon" into "Darkstar" over and over and over and over (you get the picture)

:thumbup "Dark Star has meant, while I'm playing it, almost as many things as I can imagine"---JG

There are hundreds of versions of that song out there, so many vastly different interpretations to digest, that you really could just listen to nothing but different versions of just "Dark Star" ( not advisable :lol ) and hear bits of the entire gamut of music from the ancient to the present.

It's not really possible for me to cite a 'favorite' version (although there are the ones that stick in my mind) but one thing that sticks out to me about the version on "Live Dead" is the absolute perfection of it. It's really rare for any Rock song that long to flow that smoothly throughout. There always seems to be minutes of "where do go next" in any tune like that ("Ok, take a SOLO" :stunned ) but that particular take sounds just unbelievably coherent, like every note had been charted out & expertly executed...NOT! Even compared to any of the versions that directly surround it (the following 3 nights for example).

But I did vote HWY 61. :lol

Revolver has been number one for me pretty much ever since I got it for my 13th birthday, though both Abbey Road and Rubber Soul have flirted with knocking it out of the top spot. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Bryter Layter, VU and Nico, In the Aeroplane Over The Sea and Pet Sounds are all up there as well. And at the moment my favorite record is Electro Shock Blues by the Eels, which I've essentially lived inside for the past four weeks.

--Mike

villagegreen.jpg

So very, very, very good.