NFL Thread (2008 edition)

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

J-E-T-S, JETS JETS JETS!

Pats looked pretty good against the Fins today.

Looks like a QB controversy brewing in New England. The career backup might be worthy of a starting slot.

I think Bill Bellichick is the biggest douche in the league but I will admit that he is a great coach. That's more than I can say for his protege Charlie weis who is a douche and a terrible coach. I will be happy when I see weis driving his hove-a-round out of South Bend.

I am really enjoying this Giants season. Wotta team.

Man, it seems like every time the Colts and Chargers play each other it's heart attack city - another nail-biter last night. Vinateri is a pressure guy to be sure. :dancing

Cowboys or Red Sox? Professor Breer weighs in

The prestigious Boston Sports Media Watch asked former Boston-area newspaper guy Albert Breer, who had a cup of coffee with The Dallas Morning News before moving on to The Sporting News, if the Cowboys media coverage is more than the Red Sox get.

Breer responded in his usual succinct manner with 499 words. I'm glad they didn't ask him to compare coverage of JFK to LBJ. He'd still be yakking.

Here's Albert's response.

"

Yes, I do think it is, and for several reasons.

First is the place of the team in the market. I wouldn't question that the Red Sox are No. 1 in Boston, I just don't think the gap is as great between the Sox and the other teams here as it is with the Cowboys and the other teams in Dallas. The Cowboys can go 2-14, and they'll still tower over the Mavs, Stars and Rangers.

Second is the amount of coverage. Here's an example -- The Cowboys held their training camp in Southern California, and traveling people there, as you might expect, isn't cheap. The Morning News had three beat writers and a blogger there, plus photographers, for all of camp (3 weeks.) Plus, there was a rotation with the three columnists, so one of them was always on the ground on the West Coast. About 10 people travel for the Morning News on every single road trip. And that's not counting the NFL writer, Rick Gosselin, who does an annual trip of about 10 training camps, and is at a non-Cowboys game every week.

Quite simply, the NFL is king in Dallas and, in general, football rules in Texas to a degree that I don't think exists here. Just my personal opinion. The Star-Telegram, in Fort Worth, commits similar coverage to the Cowboys, and ESPN has two of its most prominent NFL reporters -- Ed Werder on the TV side and Matt Mosley for the dot-com (both DMN-exes, by the way) -- in Dallas and covering the club on a near-daily basis. I'd challenge you to find another team in any sport that garners that kind of commitment from a national outlet.

Third is the sheer volume of content. Check the Cowboys Blog at dallasnews.com. I don't think there's another mainstream media, team-specific blog in the country that can come close to competing with it. In particular, look at this past offseason -- We had 10-20 posts a day, and were generating record traffic even in slow times. As for the print product, there's an NFL section separate from SportsDay (what DMN calls its sports section) every Monday. And if you look in the offseason, it's not unusual that Cowboys OTAs (optional offseason workouts) would grab the centerpiece of the section in the middle of May, even with the Mavs and Stars in the playoffs and Rangers season in full swing.

Fourth is the interest in the team. I do know the power of the Red Sox brand, but I would say that their following isn't what the Cowboys' is, and for this reason: While Boston transplants are passionate and filling a lot of opposing ballparks, the Cowboys have a rather large faction of fans without having a connection to North Texas. It's impressive, to say the least. I've seen these guys on the road, and even in cities like Charlotte and Detroit last year, when the team bus pulls up to the hotel, it's like the Beatles just got there.

So I guess we don't think that Romeo Crenel and Charlie Weis were the reasons for the Pats' success anymore?

And interestingly, with the Super Bowl wins, 18-1 season, Tom Brady and Matt Cassel successes, one doesn't see the reference to Belichicken much anymore.

Nothing shuts up the naysayers and critics like massive success.