Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeff Tweedy is now producing the next Richard Thompson album. According the Richard's Facebook page they are recording at The Loft right now & according to The Loft's Facebook page someone who's playing there right now is utilizing an Orange Morgan TV12 combo amp. That is one beautiful & lucky amp. I'd say this news bodes pretty well for the line-up at Solid Sound 2015!!!!

I'd love him to headline the 3rd day with Wilco as his backing band!!!! Love to see him play both electric & acoustic sets too. Yo La Tengo played twice (one standard & once as a live soundtrack to a film) when they did Solid Sound in 2013. But I'm just looking forward to the sparks that are likely to be flying!!! I hope this means that he might utilize Wilco and/or it's various members (Jeff & Nels & maybe even Pat on guitar) for work on the new album too.

Yo La Tengo in 2013...now I"m betting Richard Thompson in 2015... WOW!!

I would imagine TWEEDY would be playing a set.

I really hope so too!!! I'm really hoping for two nights of Wilco & TWEEDY on Sunday!!

Someone on the Steve Hoffman Music Forum just posted that Richard Thompson is recording his next album with the same band, an electric trio, as he toured with last (great band BTW)...but...I'm still hoping for some guest star spots from members of Wilco. As far as Solid Sound goes I'm now guessing that we'll get an Richard Thompson Band electric trio show with some guest starring from at least Nels Cline & Jeff Tweedy, then I'm sure he'll sit in with Wilco some, & I'm really, really hoping that he might also play an acoustic set there as well- playing twice, two different types of sets, on two different days a la what Yo La Tengo did at Solid Sound 2013.

Every rumor I have heard about MMJ playing any festival so far has been correct (Gov Ball, Roo, Hangout). That being said I'm pretty sure MMJ will be playing SS15. Rumors are rumors so it's not definite until its announced, but it's something that's been going around. If they played I'd imagine they would headline Wilco's night off.

I know that wont sit well with a lot of people around here, but if they play I'll be super excited.

Every rumor I have heard about MMJ playing any festival so far has been correct (Gov Ball, Roo, Hangout). That being said I'm pretty sure MMJ will be playing SS15. Rumors are rumors so it's not definite until its announced, but it's something that's been going around. If they played I'd imagine they would headline Wilco's night off.

I know that wont sit well with a lot of people around here, but if they play I'll be super excited.

If that's true, I hope their fans will be happy, but I'm not one, so, at the very least, I really hope they don't end up as a headliner. What little I know about Jim James, he seems like a cool & nice guy, but I encountered these guys plenty at AmericanaramA & not only did they do nothing for me, but while I don't hate them, that nothing didn't go in a better direction with more familiarity...

If that's true, I hope their fans will be happy, but I'm not one, so, at the very least, I really hope they don't end up as a headliner. What little I know about Jim James, he seems like a cool & nice guy, but I encountered these guys plenty at AmericanaramA & not only did they do nothing for me, but while I don't hate them, that nothing didn't go in a better direction with more familiarity...

Seconded. I would be disappointed if they are announced. I went to two AmericanaramA shows, and I went for Wilco, Bob Weir and Dylan, not them...but got my fill of them, anyway! :lol

Not that they're bad, but for me, they were on the bottom of the feeding chain.

I've seen MMJ once, would love to see them again.  But NOT at SS, unless it's a 5:00 slot on Joe's Field before Wilco.  Even still, I fear having MMJ on the bill would pose a substantial risk of turning this into a bigger deal and more crowded festival than any of the Wilco fans who attend would want.  Perhaps I'm overreacting, but my gut tells me they're too "big" an act for what we love about SS.  And any suggestion they would take one of the 2 headlining night slots would be a definite no-no.     

Agree with most of these thoughts about MMJ. Try as I might, I just can't get into them. They're good musicians and I can see where festival management would assume there will be lots of crossover appeal, but this festival occupies such a special niche and is so subject to overcrowding as it is, I don't think they need another "big" name on the roster.

On the other hand, maybe the guys really hit it off during the Americanarama tour and will be working on some cool collaborations. I've learned not to second guess their long term vision or to think I know what's up their sleeve. They've surprised and delighted me so much over the past couple of years. "I can't guess what's coming next, I can never tell, you're the deepest well I've ever fallen into."

I really enjoy MMJ, and would be happy to see them at SS. That said, it would change the flavor unless they were announced after most of the show is sold out. And I can't imaging MMJ management being ok with that. It's an interesting concept. I'll echo Diane with the assumption that everything that's been done with SS has been so well thought out, that any line up will be fine and awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If MMJ do end up being on the bill, I hope for the crowd's sake that they have a different sound man. They were excruciatingly loud at AmericanaramA. They had this one speaker at stage level that looked to be an entirely metallic cabinet, and that thing was just downright evil. I had to wear earplugs the whole time they played.

MMJ, wow, that's a biggie, I've seen them a bunch of times and have always loved their show.  However I'm not really sure how'd they fit in, I don't see them "opening" for Wilco on a Friday or Saturday night although they did go on before Wilco on Americanarama.  My guess is they would play Sunday, on the one hand that's kinda good cause Sunday's are slower days where most Wilco fans are on their way home and it would leave lots of room for the MMJ fans.  On the other hand I was hoping for a Friday and Saturday Wilco show and a Sunday TWEEDY show.

I for one think MMJ would be a good fit. If for nothing else from my exposure to their fans, they seem to be on the same page as Wilco fans as far as being "laid back" and "socially conscious" of their fellow man. The thing i love most about the festival, besides the music, is being around some pretty cool people for three days. MMJ fans will fit right in, most of them love Wilco too.

I bought the tickets! :hyper Now I need to find a place to stay. Any tips?

Yay! I don't have any great insights, but it seems hotels are booking up fast. The good ones in Bennington, Vermont are all booked. You still might be able to find some decent ones in the Springfield area. Where did you guys stay last time?

Also,  I would call the hotels in Williamstown directly.  You don't know if there are cancellations or waiting lists.  There always seems to be people looking to swap lodging or posting that they are going to cancel as we get closer.  Also, craigslist may have apartments for rent that weekend.  You may have to get creative.  Contact airbnb listings and ask if they know anyone who might rent out their house or apartment?

Yay! I don't have any great insights, but it seems hotels are booking up fast. The good ones in Bennington, Vermont are all booked. You still might be able to find some decent ones in the Springfield area. Where did you guys stay last time?

\o/

Last time we rented a room in North Adams at Airbnb and it was great to stay in town! I think I'll wait until March to see if something appears... I remember that appeared some properties in airbnb in March/2013 so I hope to get something in North Adams or Williamstown at least.