Solid Sound - 2015 - June 26-28

Hardly my dream MMJ set, but I too am surprised at the lack of love for the band. I was into them long before I got into Wilco and really love their first four records, five if you count the Okonokos double live record, which slays. It Still Moves is one hell of a record, probably my favorite studio album of theirs. Highly recommend it.

Wilco has since surpassed MMJ in my favorite bands list, and I've yet to see an MMJ concert, but like tinnitus, in my circle of friends/music lovers, there's a great deal of crossover between the two. I didn't get a chance to hit an Americanarama show, but personally, if I had an opportunity to see Wilco and MMJ the same weekend, I'd be ecstatic. But that's just me.

not my dream setlist either, by any stretch of the imagination. I just think it would fit into the SS atmosphere. 

If MMJ was at some point your favorite band, and you haven't seen them yet, then you will really really have your mind blown when you first see them. Wilco might have passed them as my favorite band also, but MMJ is still the best live band around. I'm actually choosing Solid Sound over One Big Holiday this year, so it would be majorly comforting for me if jacket is at SS. 

And yes, ISM is their best album. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone has any leads on nearby hotels, please do share! I had great luck for the last festival and got a room in Bennington, VT a month or two before the festival. No such luck this year! Everything I'm finding is about a 45 minute drive from Mass MoCa. Hope to get something before any lineup announcement, as I'd imagine that this is only going to get more and more difficult.

If anyone has any leads on nearby hotels, please do share! I had great luck for the last festival and got a room in Bennington, VT a month or two before the festival. No such luck this year! Everything I'm finding is about a 45 minute drive from Mass MoCa. Hope to get something before any lineup announcement, as I'd imagine that this is only going to get more and more difficult.

I'll put in a plug here for a Facebook page I set up called Solid Sound 2015. It's completely unofficial so it can become whatever the members want it to be. I haven't given it a lot of attention, but my hope was that it could be a place for people who are looking for accommodations, room-sharing, ride-sharing, recommendations, etc. to connect. There are a lot of people on Facebook who don't get on Via Chicago. Feel free to check it out.

I was in North Adams last night!  It was great to be there... had a few beers at a nice little place called the Freight Yard Pub... Luckily my mother-in-law lives in Pittsfield so I don't have to worry about hotels... leave the kiddos there and my wife and I have a blast at the festival... I went solo the first two years and had my wife with me at the last one

I just cancelled my room at the Topia Inn, but she mentioned that they had a waiting list.

The Haflinger Haus may still have rooms. We stayed there in 2013. It's a quick 10 min drive. However this year it looks like they doubled their rates. So it's not nearly as affordable.

This is all part of the positive transformative impact that SS has had on the small rust belt town of North Adams, MA.

True.  The first year I reserved a room in a bed and breakfast.  The woman was terrified of the rock and roll contingent.  Then we pull in, middle aged, in a station wagon for chrissakes.  Then next year she doubled her rates and had a 3 night minimum.

I just booked a room at the Bennington Motor Inn through Priceline for $120/night. It's free to cancel until June 21, and we don't pay until we get there. I'm hoping we can find something closer and a little nicer, but I wanted to get something booked before the lineup is announced. I think there might be a room or two left. 

My wife and I are staying at one of those little places up in Bennington, too. I think it will be fine. Personally, I like the idea of a 30-40 minute drive to decompress a bit after having my ears blasted out by a rock show, but that's just me. As for the "ambience" of the place, we aren't that picky. It's really just a place to crash when not at the festival.

I just booked a room at the Bennington Motor Inn through Priceline for $120/night. It's free to cancel until June 21, and we don't pay until we get there. I'm hoping we can find something closer and a little nicer, but I wanted to get something booked before the lineup is announced. I think there might be a room or two left.

I stayed there the first SSF-- it ain't fancy, but that's a great price! Paying nearly twice that for a similar small no-frills motel in Williamstown. And have to pay in advance. So it's a great deal if you don't mind the drive!

where is the line up? I feel like every festival under the sun has announced their line up.

I want to know what I won't be seeing this year.

Andrew Bird?

The Replacements?

Sufjan Stevens?

Sufjan Stevens would be amazing!! And he's out on tour coming soon as well (http://www.carrieandlowell.com/tour) to support his forthcoming album... tour dates, so far, run from 4/10 to 6/10, with a Festival date on 9/6 as well. So there's nothing that would currently conflict with Solid Sound.

I'm pretty sure we'll see Richard Thompson there (which, for me, is a dream come true on the scale of having Yo La Tengo there last time- hoping he does both full band electric, & solo acoustic, sets)... Andrew Bird would be welcome, & The Replacements would be just great too!!! I'm still holding out hope for Television...and my Dark Horse faves Donna The Buffalo- who I think would be an amazing fit... Lucinda Williams and/or Iris DeMent would be real nice as well

Already counting the days.  We will be coming from northern Vermont with a stash of Heady Toppers and Second Fiddle.  If you enjoy beer and you haven't sampled those tasty treats, let me find you in the parking lot and donate some heaven to your cause.

Much as I know it won't happen, I'd love to see the 'Mats.  More realistically, I've always felt Grace Potter would be a good fit.

Mmm. Heady Topper. I can only have one of them. Since you are filling up your cooler with Vermont specialty beer, could you throw in some Lawson's Sip o'Sunshine? I'll bring Ghandi Bot and Utica Club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmm. Heady Topper. I can only have one of them. Since you are filling up your cooler with Vermont specialty beer, could you throw in some Lawson's Sip o'Sunshine? I'll bring Ghandi Bot and Utica Club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice - never had Ghandi Bot but Utica Club is a nice brew.  I maintain that 'Topper and all these other new strong beers should be sold in 6 or 8 ounce cans/bottles.  One might not seem enough, but opening a 2nd is pretty much a commitment to getting drunk.

If things go as planned for Lawsons, Sip O' Sunshine will be more widely available soon.  They are producing it in a much larger brewery down in CT now.  Great stuff.

I know this is ViaChicago, not BeerAdvocate, but... Heady is only 8%. I'm a total lightweight and even I can consume more than one. Session IPAs and APAs usually clock in around 5%, by comparison. For me, I consume HT last because it absolutely destroys my palate. Tough to taste anything but hops after sipping on one.

Also, being that I'm from the area and the festival is in MA, Boston's Trillium Brewing deserves a major shout out. Producing some of the best beer in New England IMHO. Their double IPA, Heavy Mettle, can go toe to toe with any of the big VT IPAs.

I know this is ViaChicago, not BeerAdvocate, but... Heady is only 8%. I'm a total lightweight and even I can consume more than one. Session IPAs and APAs usually clock in around 5%, by comparison. For me, I consume HT last because it absolutely destroys my palate. Tough to taste anything but hops after sipping on one.

i had this a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.greenflashbrew.com/our-beers/palate-wrecker/

is Trillium carry-out only? i don't think i've ever seen it in stores.