• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wilco.    Noteworthy as this is my 100th Wilco show. 

Despite all the controversy with the Springsteen tickets I managed to score decent seats on the verified fan sale in about 10 minutes yesterday. I got ADA seats 4 rows back behind the stage. Those sea

As promised, here's some pictures of the Beths on Friday night. As I don't drink they put me at the side of the stage in the all ages area. A guy was there with his 13 year old daughter. He wasn't fam

Posted Images

Lucero

Andy Shauf! 

Let me know what you think.  One of my sons is a huge fan.  I've heard one song from his most recent album and I liked it (but didn't love it).

Let me know what you think.  One of my sons is a huge fan.  I've heard one song from his most recent album and I liked it (but didn't love it).

So, definitely I might be biased, I think Neon Skyline is the best album of the year so far. But I thought the show was great. He did the new album in order and then the 8 or 9 other songs from his previous albums. The venue was pretty small, probably only around 400 people. The show sold out right away and I think this album has blown up more than people were expecting so I'm surprised they didn't move to a bigger venue. He's from Regina which isn't far from here, so it's definitely cool seeing a kid from the Canadian prairies doing so well and you could tell the audience was excited about that. Musically, he sounded great, his band was top notch especially the drummer. 

Definitely check out his full album, it's a story so just one song on its own could sound weird out of context. 

So, definitely I might be biased, I think Neon Skyline is the best album of the year so far. But I thought the show was great. He did the new album in order and then the 8 or 9 other songs from his previous albums. The venue was pretty small, probably only around 400 people. The show sold out right away and I think this album has blown up more than people were expecting so I'm surprised they didn't move to a bigger venue. He's from Regina which isn't far from here, so it's definitely cool seeing a kid from the Canadian prairies doing so well and you could tell the audience was excited about that. Musically, he sounded great, his band was top notch especially the drummer. 

Definitely check out his full album, it's a story so just one song on its own could sound weird out of context. 

Thanks for the report.  My son agrees with you about Neon Skyline -- best album of the year so far.  

Thanks for the report.  My son agrees with you about Neon Skyline -- best album of the year so far.  

Must admit never heard of Andy Shauf before, but listening to Neon Skyline now via Spofity, pretty good. He is playing Thalia Hall this Saturday and it is sold out. Looks like they could have moved that gig to a bigger place, too.

Must admit never heard of Andy Shauf before, but listening to Neon Skyline now via Spofity, pretty good. He is playing Thalia Hall this Saturday and it is sold out. Looks like they could have moved that gig to a bigger place, too.

His band Foxwarren played SSF this past year, so some Wilco fans might be more aware of that project. His last solo album The Party is also really good but to me Neon Skyline is a more realized record. 

I saw Destroyer last night and goddamn where they great. Dan's got a very good and interesting band behind him. I was kind of annoyed by the bass player (and his last-minute solo opening set didn't help things to start off with; too precious and kinda boring, but then again it was impromptu because tour mates Nap Eyes got detained coming back in from Canada) but he could certainly play bass well. The drummer was fantastic as well, really energetic but not over-playing. The guitar had a killer tone and blended really well with the trumpet player. There was a keyboard, and then another guy who traded between keys and guitar. Dan looks a like like a less-well dressed/less-bearded Warren Ellis, kind of an absent-minded professor who knelt down a lot between songs to retrieve his libation that was resting on the stage. Sockless and wearing Clark's Wallabies - not a look you see everyday!

Sturgill Simpson with Tyler Childers opening. Damn, are we excited!

Sturgill Simpson with Tyler Childers opening. Damn, are we excited!

How was it .. ?

We are waiting until May in Boston.

Im sure he played loud and quite good,,

Have yet to ck setlist wondered about your thoughts on show.

Nathaniel Rateliff 

and also  Lucero .. 

Caught Lucero a couple of months ago solid new songs somewhat somber but good I thought. 

How was Rateliff .. he just came through.. But I was off seeing Brit Floyd 

How was it .. ?

We are waiting until May in Boston.

Im sure he played loud and quite good,,

Have yet to ck setlist wondered about your thoughts on show.

Yes. Loud. I'm certain I attended louder concerts in my youth, but it was easily the loudest show I've attended in at least 20 years.

Tyler Childers was excellent. He had 75 minutes and made the most of it, keeping the banter to a minimum and playing 16 songs. Loved him. Definitely want to see him headline so he can slow it down a bit, plus play a few more. Fantastic band.

Sturgill played all of Sound & Fury, then 12 more, mostly from Metamodern... and A Sailors.... He did play Some Days from Hightop Mountain, plus 3 choice covers. He was into putting on a show. I knew he could play guitar, but, live it's clear he's top drawer. He had an excellent band just keys, bass and drums. He was in fine voice and the emotion came through. They all wore orange "Nudie"-style suits, but definitely brought the rock. I was glad he played Sound & Fury in order, a few shows he's mixed them up. I was concerned that a big portion of the crowd might not be into it, but all in all, the sold out arena crowd was appreciative. After a blow the roof off, SNL version good, Call To Arms, the show was over. No encore. I found it appropriate.

2 excellent voices made for a great night of music. It was definitely worth the drive from Tampa to the Atlanta area.

The only downside was not unexpected at a Sturgill/Tyler show, some in the crowd were not my type of folks, which rolled off my back, except one instance. The bathroom had a very long line. Invariably, someone made a crack about the coronavirus. Then a guy 3 people behind me in line replied, "Keep away from the Asians". Before I could stop, I loudly said, "What the fuck?", looked at him and shook my head. Incredibly enough, that was the end of it. No one said anything more.

Thanks for asking and enjoy the Boston show.

Yes. Loud. I'm certain I attended louder concerts in my youth, but it was easily the loudest show I've attended in at least 20 years.

Tyler Childers was excellent. He had 75 minutes and made the most of it, keeping the banter to a minimum and playing 16 songs. Loved him. Definitely want to see him headline so he can slow it down a bit, plus play a few more. Fantastic band.

Sturgill played all of Sound & Fury, then 12 more, mostly from Metamodern... and A Sailors.... He did play Some Days from Hightop Mountain, plus 3 choice covers. He was into putting on a show. I knew he could play guitar, but, live it's clear he's top drawer. He had an excellent band just keys, bass and drums. He was in fine voice and the emotion came through. They all wore orange "Nudie"-style suits, but definitely brought the rock. I was glad he played Sound & Fury in order, a few shows he's mixed them up. I was concerned that a big portion of the crowd might not be into it, but all in all, the sold out arena crowd was appreciative. After a blow the roof off, SNL version good, Call To Arms, the show was over. No encore. I found it appropriate.

2 excellent voices made for a great night of music. It was definitely worth the drive from Tampa to the Atlanta area.

The only downside was not unexpected at a Sturgill/Tyler show, some in the crowd were not my type of folks, which rolled off my back, except one instance. The bathroom had a very long line. Invariably, someone made a crack about the coronavirus. Then a guy 3 people behind me in line replied, "Keep away from the Asians". Before I could stop, I loudly said, "What the fuck?", looked at him and shook my head. Incredibly enough, that was the end of it. No one said anything more.

Thanks for asking and enjoy the Boston show.

Awesome review .. 

Re ; The encore I am now recalling the very last time I saw him no encore as well. Eric Church started to keep a long main set a few yrs back and announced that he did not want to run off and run back out.. He's rather leave it all out here. I get it .. Im fine with the bands either way..

hmm either way brings up Wilco .. thats how my mind works - got tkts for the Boston show today.. Man the holdbacks and the bots got the great seats..

Too bad Wilco does not do what Sturgil did that was a pre qualification thing..

Before I go tip O' the cap for audience policing more should step up and change the direction of stupidity.

Roadhouse,

Sturgill did leave it all out there. I don't know if the suit survived the sweat.

I agree that the advance qualification system Sturgill used was a better way to buy tickets.

I too was glad I said something, but relieved that it didn't escalate. I'd have been a Neil Young song.