Wilco heard while you're out and about

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.avclub.com/new-oscars-teaser-confirms-the-bear-will-be-back-and-se-1850217739     New tag line for VC:  "music nerds of a certain vintage".      

It was a birthday surprise for the co-host Matt Spiegel (for those who don't know he is in a great cover band called Tributosaurus).

Wait til you get a couple episodes further… 

Posted Images

it made me sad that wilco was being used as muzak

I felt the same way the first time I heard The Jayhawks at a mall. And then I worked at Kohls and heard "Bad Time" on a regular rotation. I definitely wanted them to have exposure, just not THAT kind of exposure.

i heard Millionaire at church last week

:lol

I work for a sustainable design company...I FORCE my co-workers to listen to Wilco daily. Oh sure they make their "Woolco" jokes, but deep down they love it. As for hearing Wilco in public, I live in a remote area of Nova Scotia where they just don't understand anything but fiddles or bagpipes.

I'll third the Chipotle encounter -- have heard Wilco there before. And, over the summer I read that Starbuck's was playing Wilco too -- but I don't drink coffee, so have never confirmed the Starbucks thing first-person. I found the Starbucks news disappointing, but I guess it's good for Wilco sales. Starbucks has played/sold Beck, Aimee Mann, the White Stripes, etc. Of course, Chipotle's parent company is McDonald's, so that's not much better when it comes to corporate chains. But, I do occasionally get a Chipotle burrito or some McD's fries, just not too often as there aren't any locations near my house. I instead go to a taco truck for authentic burritos at super-cheap prices :)

Confirmed. I heard Wilco while using a starbucks washroom in Toronto sometime in June or July.

There's probably a thread somewhere about this, but it's always fun to be out and about and next thing you know the sound of wilco is wafting through the air.

went to lunch at chipotle with a colleague and when we walked in we were greeted by the usual lunch crowd and "when the roses bloom again". it made my lunch that much better.

I heard New Madrid in Chipotle recently and was surprised!

the best was hearing them played in my favorite bar. the worst was hearing sky blue sky being played in the grocery store a month or so ago

I'd like to think that hearing Wilco in a mall or grocery store doesn't mean that Wilco is being used as Muzak. I'd like to hope it means that some good music is starting to replace the offensive muzak we get subjected to.

And as much as I don't like chains, I have to admit that Starbucks and Chipotle have somebody with a little taste doing their music programing. It helps give good music a chance at being heard over the din of the disposable pop tunes and American Idol type crap.

And anyway, while I prefer my local coffee shop, I know some full-time coffee shop workers who'd rather work at Starbucks since they offer better pay and full health benefits--something you'll almost never get at a local coffee shop. On the other hand, Starbucks has systematically run a few of my favorite local coffee shops out of business. On the other hand, they play Wilco tunes . . .

Anyway, I hear lots of Wilco here in Chicago. Bars, coffee shops, fast food joints, on the radio, in my car, in my friends' cars, and of course, lots of covers played by my Wilco-fan musician friends!

Oh sure they make their "Woolco" jokes,

first i've heard of that one!

I'd like to think that hearing Wilco in a mall or grocery store doesn't mean that Wilco is being used as Muzak. I'd like to hope it means that some good music is starting to replace the offensive muzak we get subjected to.

you mean the cashiers doing voiceover interuptions for price checks or Santosh to come to register 5 that are 10 times louder than the music?

The Chipotle near millennium Park in Chicago has also played, "When The Roses Bloom Again". On a second occasion I went there, they were playing the Chelsea Walls Theme. I guess someone with the company likes that album.

Chipotle: pronounced chip-a-toll-ay

Does JC Penney still exist? CRAZY!!

I'm afraid all the VW commercials have crowded out any memories I have of hearing Wilco out and about.

I guess I do remember hearing them at a random bar's jukebox a few months ago: tracks from Summerteeth. I

immediately raced to the jukebox and waited an hour for the music to turn up.

Food Lion plays Impossible Germany every now and then.

Heard some Sufjan Stevens and Arcade Fire before there, too; not bad to chill to when you're havin' a quick smoke in the back or something.

I used to work at Trader Joes and Wilco would get played there all the time. Not an unusual place to hear Wilco I guess. At least less random than say at Jewel or Dominicks. They had XM and a few of the "approved stations" for during business hours, one of wich is the station that is played at Starbucks I think, played Wilco a lot. Plus, on the Starbucks note, they were selling SBS for a while this summer, at least at the one in my neighborhood, so not too random to hear it there either I s'pose. I would venture a guess that a lot of big businesses are going the satellite radio route, so that could possibly explain the occaisional Wilco or Decemberist tune in JC Penney's or Wal-Mart or other inexplicable places.

well this isnt really hearing them, but isaw this number plate in a shopping center in brisbane, dunno if they were a fan or their last name had something to do with it but i thought it was bloody awesome and wished i had it

Image000.jpg

well this isnt really hearing them, but isaw this number plate in a shopping center in brisbane, dunno if they were a fan or their last name had something to do with it but i thought it was bloody awesome and wished i had it

Image000.jpg

On a Benz! :blink