Wilco heard while you're out and about

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.avclub.com/new-oscars-teaser-confirms-the-bear-will-be-back-and-se-1850217739     New tag line for VC:  "music nerds of a certain vintage".      

It was a birthday surprise for the co-host Matt Spiegel (for those who don't know he is in a great cover band called Tributosaurus).

Wait til you get a couple episodes further… 

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

I was in a seminar yesterday and heard the Uncle Tupelo version of Gun as a ringtone when a phone went off. Odd choice, especially when the shite I attend usually sees a lot of Cee Lo Green or Black Eyed Peas tones, with the occasional Fenton the Dog or OMG Trampoline tossed in. This was a beautiful girl, maybe mid 20's, with Gun as a ringtone. Not sure what dynamic was in play but cheered me up.

Heard "Shot in the Arm" on KXT while on my way home from the Dr.

Sounded REALLY good on the radio.

Thoroughly enjoyed the cab ride a I took a week or so ago when the NPR listening cab driver started singing along to Art of Almost and heard the lyrics as Heart of the Host. One small step for Wilco, one giant step for misunderstood Christianity. Have a feeling that when the album breaks in Nigeria or wherever Speed Racer was from it may be a number one if fellow residents mishear it the same way. Christopher Hitchens was heard crying in the background.

Thoroughly enjoyed the cab ride a I took a week or so ago when the NPR listening cab driver started singing along to Art of Almost and heard the lyrics as Heart of the Host. One small step for Wilco, one giant step for misunderstood Christianity. Have a feeling that when the album breaks in Nigeria or wherever Speed Racer was from it may be a number one if fellow residents mishear it the same way. Christopher Hitchens was heard crying in the background.

Cussin' brilliant! As I just heard around here recently.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't heard Wilco, and in fact is not our Wilco, but I recently got home from a holiday vacation to Florida and was delighted to see Wilco Travel Plazas here and there in Georgia and Tennessee. I saw a tanker truck too on the road and thought, cool, it's in liquid form too!

ae19397c-551f-48b9-8cd0-6cd9ed7acaff.JPG

Clearly that picture was taken before gas prices spiked a few years ago. Since I didn't manage to take a picture myself, this is the best I could find as evidence that Wilco Travel Plazas do in fact exist.

On the way home we drove through Belleville, IL on I-64 en route to St. Louis. I was tempted to stop into a convenience store or see if there was a vistor center with Belleville postcards to send to kidsmoke and a couple of other Wilco friends, but my kids had been having meltdowns since we were at the tail end of a very long drive that day and I didn't think anyone was in the mood to humor my Wilco obsession at that very moment. ;)

Side note: I heard Nick Lowe at Starbucks in Florida, which my family and I frequented daily since it turned out that the Internet connection wasn't working where we were staying. I listened for Wilco too since I know they pop up in the background music at Starbucks on occasion, but no such luck.

There are lots of Hess/Wilco stations where I live. Like a dork, I always like to buy my gas there, and it's usually the cheapest station around, by a few cents a gallon. Plus, when I gas up, with my Wilco license plates and usually some Wilco playing from the ipod, it gives me a little secret smile that takes some of the sting out of the cost of the fuel.

They also have an unusually large assortment of Wilco-branded lighters, in a variety of sizes and designs. I can't help but think that's a nod to the band from someone in their marketing department. I mean, I don't think you see tons of Exxon or Mobil lighters, do you?

Last week I heard "Dawned on Me" at a Landmark movie theater as part of the pre-show entertainment. My 7-year-old daughter was along--we wanted to see The Artist--and she noticed the song before me, which made it even better.

There are lots of Hess/Wilco stations where I live. Like a dork, I always like to buy my gas there, and it's usually the cheapest station around, by a few cents a gallon. Plus, when I gas up, with my Wilco license plates and usually some Wilco playing from the ipod, it gives me a little secret smile that takes some of the sting out of the cost of the fuel.

They also have an unusually large assortment of Wilco-branded lighters, in a variety of sizes and designs. I can't help but think that's a nod to the band from someone in their marketing department. I mean, I don't think you see tons of Exxon or Mobil lighters, do you?

If Wilco stations were in the midwest, I'd be a regular customer there too. In my state, Wilco has already been taken for a plate by someone else, lucky fan!

• 4 weeks later...

Had to be out in Las Vegas for 10 days of work. Walking around an outdoor mall on the first day, after forgetting to pack some things. "Hate It Here" blaring from the speakers in the palms. Sweet justice.

• 2 weeks later...