Wilco heard while you're out and about

Not so much hearing Wilco but hearing about Wilco.

I heard an interview (just by chance) with an Australian singer named Sherry Rich yesterday on Radio National in Australia.

She spoke about an album she has just released titled "Dakota Avenue" which was recorded in Wilco's loft between 1999 - 2001 (with a number of other Wilco folk playing on the record). She spoke very warmly of Jay.

Photos from the sessions are here:

http://www.sherryric...ails/index.html

Nice find. This deserves its own thread. "lost" recordings featuring Glenn, Jay, Pat and Leroy! A bit of Wilco past and present. I've enjoyed what I've heard of her "Sherry Rich & Courtesy Move" album with Jay, Ken and John. Can we refer to this as Courtesy Move 2?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.avclub.com/new-oscars-teaser-confirms-the-bear-will-be-back-and-se-1850217739     New tag line for VC:  "music nerds of a certain vintage".      

It was a birthday surprise for the co-host Matt Spiegel (for those who don't know he is in a great cover band called Tributosaurus).

Wait til you get a couple episodes further… 

Posted Images

Wilco, A.M. & Jeff Tweedy figured into about 4 or 5 lines of dialogue on HBO's Treme last night..

Yes, that was neat. For those who are familiar with Treme but didn't see this, Annie was meeting with some guy to be her agent. She was telling him that she's going with a different sound, and the agent says she's describing Wilco and A.M. Annie loves Wilco and says A.M. is one of her favorites. Then the agent says "I'm close with their management. Tweedy likes to bring new bands along, I'll speak to them about getting you an opening slot." Or words to that effect. Pretty cool.

Yes, that was neat. For those who are familiar with Treme but didn't see this, Annie was meeting with some guy to be her agent. She was telling him that she's going with a different sound, and the agent says she's describing Wilco and A.M. Annie loves Wilco and says A.M. is one of her favorites. Then the agent says "I'm close with their management. Tweedy likes to bring new bands along, I'll speak to them about getting you an opening slot." Or words to that effect. Pretty cool.

i too saw the wilco reference in treme. the optimist in me wanted to believe that was foreshadowing, though, the realist in me thinks it was just wishful thinking.

i too saw the wilco reference in treme. the optimist in me wanted to believe that was foreshadowing, though, the realist in me thinks it was just wishful thinking.

Yeah, I think HBO's canceling Treme.

A pity, it was nice to see a show that respected original music so much.

I've always made a point to listen to this show through my home theatre speakers rather than just the TV speakers.

Really, has that been announced? Is this the last season? That would be a shame.

Yeah, I read online somewhere that this is going to be the last season.

That's so cool about the Wilco/AM reference on the show! It's great when two things you love, seemingly unrelated, are connected after all. More synchronicity!

Really, has that been announced? Is this the last season? That would be a shame.

From what I've heard they've been picked up for an abbreviated 4th and final season. I guess that's better than nothing.

From a Treme blog at the Times Picayune site:

Annie and Marvin Frey talk contract at Stella! as “The Truth of The Blues” by Dr Michael White, “Li’l Duke’s Strut” by Nicholas Payton and “Fatimah” by Irvin Mayfield play in the background.

Shannon McNally’s live CD. Wilco’s first album, “A.M.” Frey is tight with the band’s management, and knows that Jeff Tweedy loves to introduce up-and-coming artists that he’s into.

To top off the heady mix of Wilco synchronicity, I turned on the radio in the car this am, switched from NPR to the local college station, and was blasted with the fuzzy bass line of "I Might!" It struck me as such kismet after reading Linclink's post about hearing "What Light" at a personal crossroads, and then I've been toying around with taking a Wilco hiatus, and then the universe (okay, the deejay) throws Wilco right in my lap. Nice!

On Jimmy Fallon the other night, Nick Offernan was talking about a college speaking tour he's doing. In real life he's married to Megan Mullally, and she's opening for him at these dates. He said it was absurd having her open for him--kind of like having Wilco be your opening act.

For the non TV aficionados out there, Nick Offernan is Ron Swanson on Parks and Recreation and Megan Mullally was Karen on Will and Grace.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to work where you work. :)

I teach, and once our superintendent saw me in a Wilco tee and said, "Love that band!" Another colleague saw the band at Red Rocks. One time, I was on an interview committee and lobbied hard for a particular hire based mostly on the fact that he was a professed Wilco fan. (He was the best choice for other reasons, too.) He got the job, and about six months later we went to a Tweedy solo show together.

"The Thanks I Get" on the Weather Channel as I sit here typing this.

I believe this just may be the indication of the apocalypse we were expecting all along.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dawned on Me at a Chili's in Corsicana Texas.

Also, at the first day of a Music class in College, my son's professor was playing Box Full of Letters.

This doesn't really belong in this thread but I thought it was pretty funny. My coworkers all know what a Wilco fan I am, and this morning one of them told me about a Law and Order SVU episode she saw over the weekend. It had something to do with a young boy who had been sexually abused as a child and now he was kind of a troubled loser, due to being haunted by his past. He was wearing a Wilco tee shirt! I wonder if the producers of the show were trying to make a statement. Also just wondering if anybody here watches that show, what tee shirt was he wearing?