Hoodoo Gurus were great. I almost didn't go as I wasn't feeling too great & couldn't find anyone to go. It was a small theater show, pretty much sold out. No opener. They came out & did a solid hour & 45 minute set. 25 songs, many of them audience requests. It was nice going to a show & getting home before 11. Such a great band, criminally overlooked. It's rough for the Aussie bands. & they were LOUD! My ears are still ringing a little 2 days later. I've heard the newer material but not a real lot. It  all fit right in with the classics. Tour's almost over. The band has been going 42 years (with a 6 year break). Hopefully they'll make it back over here at some point.

• Like 3
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wilco.    Noteworthy as this is my 100th Wilco show. 

Despite all the controversy with the Springsteen tickets I managed to score decent seats on the verified fan sale in about 10 minutes yesterday. I got ADA seats 4 rows back behind the stage. Those sea

Alejandro Escovedo!

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, chuckrh said:

How was your Crowded House show? I'm getting ready for the Cure tonight!

I had a fabulous time!  I could not believe my good fortune to get a seat in the front row right in front of Neil. The old songs were wonderful, and Neil’s voice was in absolutely great shape.  The new songs, however - two from Dreamers Are Waiting and three I did not recognize - were unspectacular at best.  

Have a great time at The Cure!

• Like 3

Well, here I am in recovery mode. Pretty good show, 2 hours 45 minutes on the button. TBH I thought they were better in 2016. That's not saying they were bad this time. I saw an epic show in Portland (Ridgefield) in 2016 that would be hard to top. Part of the issue was a sort of lame Seattle crowd which happens a fair amount. Let's call them second encore people. For instance there were no woah, woahs in Push & very few hands in the sky during FTEOTDGS. For the most part I still can't understand Robert when he talks but he's very clear when he's singing. His voice was great. He must be taking care of it better. The pacing was a bit weird & Robert admitted it (I understood that). He said "fook me I shouldn't have followed 100 years with Lullaby". At times there were too many mopey songs in a row & the show ground to a total halt during Another Happy Birthday. I'm on the fence about that song. The other new songs were very good.
Reeves blew me away again. It's not just the featured solos but also the little fills he puts in songs. If you isolated his guitar there's some mind blowing stuff in there. He's definitely in my top 5 guitarists. My faves from the show were: Burn, Hungry Ghost, Night Like This, Forest, FTEOTDGS (Forest & FTEOTDGS were totally mighty), Want, Shake Dog Shake & 100 years. So overall it was a good concert. They sure were selling a ton of merch. Robert must've put his foot down about the venues adding money to it. I bought 1 shirt at the show & ordered a few more this morning. I'd go see them again & hopefully with lessons learned this time the ticketing will be less chaotic. I managed to sell my extra outside to a nice (unfortunately married) lady for face value. She enjoyed the show too having never seen them before. She was 10 years younger than me & definitely more into encore 2 which is fine. I'm glad I didn't have to eat the ticket.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, chuckrh said:

Well, here I am in recovery mode. Pretty good show, 2 hours 45 minutes on the button. TBH I thought they were better in 2016. That's not saying they were bad this time. I saw an epic show in Portland (Ridgefield) in 2016 that would be hard to top. Part of the issue was a sort of lame Seattle crowd which happens a fair amount. Let's call them second encore people. For instance there were no woah, woahs in Push & very few hands in the sky during FTEOTDGS. For the most part I still can't understand Robert when he talks but he's very clear when he's singing. His voice was great. He must be taking care of it better. The pacing was a bit weird & Robert admitted it (I understood that). He said "fook me I shouldn't have followed 100 years with Lullaby". At times there were too many mopey songs in a row & the show ground to a total halt during Another Happy Birthday. I'm on the fence about that song. The other new songs were very good.
Reeves blew me away again. It's not just the featured solos but also the little fills he puts in songs. If you isolated his guitar there's some mind blowing stuff in there. He's definitely in my top 5 guitarists. My faves from the show were: Burn, Hungry Ghost, Night Like This, Forest, FTEOTDGS (Forest & FTEOTDGS were totally mighty), Want, Shake Dog Shake & 100 years. So overall it was a good concert. They sure were selling a ton of merch. Robert must've put his foot down about the venues adding money to it. I bought 1 shirt at the show & ordered a few more this morning. I'd go see them again & hopefully with lessons learned this time the ticketing will be less chaotic. I managed to sell my extra outside to a nice (unfortunately married) lady for face value. She enjoyed the show too having never seen them before. She was 10 years younger than me & definitely more into encore 2 which is fine. I'm glad I didn't have to eat the ticket.

I've only seen them four times, but for me they've never had an off night. Even on just a "good" night to me they're better than a lot of live shows. The NOLA show restored my interest in the band after a couple of decades during which my fandom had waned. Robert's voice is still amazing, and I'd forgotten how many great songs are in their catalog. The merch lines in NOLA were insane, so I didn't even bother. I ordered a second edition show poster when they were posted online. I don't have any plans to attend another show on this tour, which makes me a little sad. I've totally gone down the Cure rabbit hole since the show. I'm listening to music, podcasts, and pretty much anything I run across related to the band. I still have hope that some day I'll be there when they finally perform "Halo."

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Boss_Tweedy said:

I've only seen them four times, but for me they've never had an off night. Even on just a "good" night to me they're better than a lot of live shows. The NOLA show restored my interest in the band after a couple of decades during which my fandom had waned. Robert's voice is still amazing, and I'd forgotten how many great songs are in their catalog. The merch lines in NOLA were insane, so I didn't even bother. I ordered a second edition show poster when they were posted online. I don't have any plans to attend another show on this tour, which makes me a little sad. I've totally gone down the Cure rabbit hole since the show. I'm listening to music, podcasts, and pretty much anything I run across related to the band. I still have hope that some day I'll be there when they finally perform "Halo."

I was 1 day early. The Vancouver show ended with 10:15 Saturday Night/Killing an Arab. D'oh!

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, chuckrh said:

I was 1 day early. The Vancouver show ended with 10:15 Saturday Night/Killing an Arab. D'oh!

Wowza.

• Like 1
On 6/10/2023 at 5:27 PM, ladyC said:

Thanks, Donna!

Show was great!

Tonight, David Bromberg!

(with special guest Jeff somebody?!!)

How was the show? 

According to the below - it seems like it was great night. Bromberg / Hiatt  / Tweedy --- pretty good. 

Below is a review from Relix.

Relix

• Like 1
1 hour ago, calvino said:

How was the show? 

According to the below - it seems like it was great night. Bromberg / Hiatt  / Tweedy --- pretty good. 

Below is a review from Relix.

Relix

Amazing show!! I’ve been a Bromberg fan since the early 70s, seen him many times and he never disappoints. But this show was next level. Played for just under 3 hours! Jeff was great and made the night even more special. And Hiatt was awesome.

Thanks for posting the review! 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, nalafej said:

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

Enjoy.  There was a glowing review of their Chicago show in the Tribune over the weekend. 

4 hours ago, Oil Can Boyd said:

The start of a crazy few days for me:

Tonight: The Magnetic Fields

Friday and Saturday: The Feelies and the Willies

Sunday and Monday: Yo La Tengo

That's a great run. Yo La Tengo announced yesterday that they're playing two nights in NOLA in September. Can't wait!

• Like 3