It''s not really about HD vs. DVD. HD is the format it was filmed in, and DVD is the method of storage. There is, or was such a thing as HD DVD.

Some quick definitions:

DVDs are a form of optical storage media based on the compact disc. Originally called Digital Video Disc, and later Digital Versatile Disc, "DVD" is now used with little sense of the original terms. Essentially, a DVD is a larger, faster CD that can hold video, audio, and/or computer data. Physically similar to a CD, a single-layer, single-sided DVD has a maximum capacity of 4.7GB (about two hours of MPEG-2 video), about seven times the capacity of a CD-ROM (a normal CD holds around 650MB). A double-layer, double-sided DVD-ROM disk has thirty times the capacity of a CD-ROM (over 17GB). The DVD specification supports access rates of 600KBps to 1.3MBps.

HD DVD (short for High-Definition/Density DVD) is a discontinued high-density optical disc format for storing data and high-definition video. HD DVD was supported principally by Toshiba, and was envisaged to be the successor to the standard DVD format. However, in February 2008, Toshiba abandoned the format, announcing it would no longer develop or manufacture HD DVD players or drives.

Blu-ray Disc (also known as Blu-ray or BD) is an optical disc storage medium. Its main uses are high-definition video and data storage. The disc has the same physical dimensions as standard DVDs and CDs.

The name Blu-ray Disc is derived from the blue laser (violet-colored) used to read and write to this type of disc. Because of the wavelength (405 nanometres), substantially more data can be stored on a Blu-ray Disc than on the DVD format, which uses a red (650 nm) laser. A dual-layer Blu-ray Disc can store 50 gigabytes, almost six times the capacity of a dual-layer DVD, or ten and a half times that of a single-layer DVD.

High-definition video or HD video (HDV) generally refers to any video system of higher resolution than standard-definition (SD) video, most commonly at display resolutions of 1280
  • Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

that was freaking awesome. i remember pogoing like crazy on the last "alright's" i can't wait for this to come out! (about a month now!!)

that was nice. it will be pretty cool to see a high quality film of a show that i remember as a blast.

I just pre-ordered my copy with the tote bag! I'm wondering what people in my small town would/will think when they see someone carrying a bag with the phrase "Ashes of American Flags" on the side.

Tough decision. Do I wait and support "independent record store day" or do I pre-order and get the lovely and functional tote bag?

Is anyone goiong to either screening in Sarasota -- well I'm betting a lot of people will, but anyone from the list?

I'm considering it but both times don't fit my schedule well. I really want to, but I can't see taking work off to see a movie that I will buy a few weeks later.

I've seen a couple comments regarding the tightness on the Monday clip. the entire movie is like that. Lots of shots from the pit looking up Jeff's nose or just way too close in on his guitar or face.

DVD's really good. As a fan, however, I wish there were more interviews. However, the performances were great. Really love this passage where they show the after effects of performing on the guys' bodies.

I pre-ordered along with some other merch to get a free poster. Pretty good deal at wilcoworld.net. However, they are not shipping everything until April 15th? I am in contact with them stating I thought they'd send my other products and then send the DVD when it was released. Bad business on their end or am I wrong?

I pre-ordered along with some other merch to get a free poster. Pretty good deal at wilcoworld.net. However, they are not shipping everything until April 15th? I am in contact with them stating I thought they'd send my other products and then send the DVD when it was released. Bad business on their end or am I wrong?

The second choice.

Can anyone comment on what songs on Ashes of American Flags were played in what venues? My wife and I travelled from Toronto to NOLA last March and took in both amazing shows at Tipitina's - met John Stirrat out with his family in the French Quarter between shows - very gracious in accepting our compliments on Just That Simple the first night - nice to see this AM gem made the bonus track list. Both nights were quite different in terms of set lists - I think I counted 50 + different tunes over both nights. Cheers and thanks.

From the Wilco Store pre-order page:

Ashes of American Flags is a new film presenting Wilco live in concert during their 2008 tour. Culled from concerts in five quintessentially American venues - Cain’s Ballroom in Tulsa, Tipitina’s in New Orleans, The Mobile Civic Center in Mobile, The Ryman Auditorium in Nashville and the 9:30 Club in Washington D.C. – the film captures the energy, poignancy and musicality of a Wilco concert and tour. Directed and produced by Brendan Canty and Christoph Green (Sunken Treasure, Burn to Shine)

The audio tracks of all songs featured on the DVD (including the extras) will be available as a free audio download from wilcoworld (upon receipt of your dvd).

Film tracklisting: Ashes of American Flags / Side with the Seeds /

Handshake Drugs / The Late Greats / Kingpin / Wishful Thinking /

Impossible Germany / Via Chicago / Shot in the Arm / Monday /

You Are My Face / Heavy Metal Drummer / War on War

Extras: I'm the Man Who Loves You / Airline to Heaven /

It's Just that Simple / At Least That's What you Said /

I am Trying to Break your Heart / Theologians / Hate it Here

EDIT: Sorry stories, I misread your post. As far as which songs were played in which venues, not a clue. If you really want, you could review the setlists on Wilcobase and narrow them down by process of elimination.

http://forums.viachicago.org/index.php?s=&...t&p=1286605

I can't guarantee that I got everything right, but if you're willing to wade through my long-windedness, that should give you a pretty close listing.

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, check out Wilcobase: http://wilcobase.com/

It'll give you all kinds of fantastic stats, like that there were 54 songs played over those two nights at Tipitina's: http://wilcobase.com/songs_played.php

Welcome to VC! :wave

Can anyone comment on what songs on Ashes of American Flags were played in what venues? My wife and I travelled from Toronto to NOLA last March and took in both amazing shows at Tipitina's - met John Stirrat out with his family in the French Quarter between shows - very gracious in accepting our compliments on Just That Simple the first night - nice to see this AM gem made the bonus track list. Both nights were quite different in terms of set lists - I think I counted 50 + different tunes over both nights. Cheers and thanks.

Sure, and by the way, you are very lucky to have caught those shows and met John. I love New Orleans so much, and I will be going to college there next year. Can't wait!

Cain's Ballroom:

Ashes Of American Flags (Sound check)

Side with the Seeds

Handshake Drugs

Tipitina's:

The Late Greats

Kingpin

Mobile Civic Center:

Wishful Thinking

Impossible Germany

Ryman:

Via Chicago

A Shot In The Arm

Monday

9:30 Club:

You Are My Face

Heavy Metal Drummer

War On War

As for the extras, I'm not sure... I'm sure you could break it down

Thanks everyone - looking forward to the film - Wilco was the reason we went to New Orleans - a great town - the food, music and people will be why we go back, and soon - perhaps even to see Neil this spring (and Wilco!)..one highlight for me was sticking my foot in the Mississippi (I know that sounds odd). Tipitina's reminded me of the Horseshoe in Toronto or the Grog Shop in Cleveland - steeped in music history and fantastic ambience. Thanks again.

I just pre-ordered the DVD and watched the Monday free download. What an adrenaline rush. I can't wait. Shit, it's to early to feel this way. I was trying to not think to hard on the new album. I thought the DVD would slake my thirst but I have a feeling it's just going to add fuel to the fire. :eat