The first (and so far, only) HD shot concert film I have seen/own is, The Black Crowes: Freak N' Roll. It looks weird the first time you see it - almost 3D, or it looked that way to me, anyhow.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm aware of the dvd project but i meant like a professionally shot concert. i've only ever seen the last tupelo show from the dvd project and it most certainly isn't professionally done.

The one I mentioned is professionally done. Sorry.

Looks like there will be some more screenings of the show - Click here!

Does anyone know if the DVD will be available for purchase at the upcoming April shows?

Thanks so much. I never would have known. I get to see it before I buy it now!

The first (and so far, only) HD shot concert film I have seen/own is, The Black Crowes: Freak N' Roll. It looks weird the first time you see it - almost 3D, or it looked that way to me, anyhow.

You know I thought the exact same thing. That was the very first thing I watched when I got HD cable and it was great. It kind of threw me off a bit at first, but by the second guitar solo in "Halfway to Everywhere" I didn't even notice it.

On a note more apt to the thread, I preordered Ashes today and I am stoked. I watched the clip of "Monday" that came with it and I really wish it was April 18th already.

My only critique is that all the shots save for one come from the stage (or right in front of it)... It seems a little claustaphobic. Anyways, all I'm hopin for are some shots from the audience's perspective so I can see everything all at once.

That's my two cents.

However, I still think this DVD is totally going to rock!

Guest Jules
well if it doesn't come out on blu-ray, is the dvd at least going to have 5.1 audio?
Shot in HD

Language: English (Dolby Digital Stereo), English (Dolby Digital 5:1 Surround)

Shot in HD

This is what I don't understand. Why are they touting this as a feature if it is not getting a blu-ray release? Is there a difference in DVD quality of something based on how it is originally filmed?

HD is a type of camera. It makes better digital pictures than a regular digital camera. The way the bit ratio matches up to whichever mpeg codec dvd uses vs. blu-ray is for someone a little more video tech than myself.

I venture to say that something shot in HD looks a lot better on a DVD than something that was not.

Hey Everybody,

I just prepurchased Ashes Of American Flags DVD. I got a mv4 of Monday which was awesome!!

I don't want to sound like a complainer but I noticed something while watching Monday. It felt very claustrophobic and I thought it was ironic since this was the reason why they shelved the Kicking Television DVD. Right? Well, I am grateful to have an official LIVE Wilco DVD but when you look at it you can definitely tell that it's at a small venue and there's maybe 3-4 cameras to capture the action. Now I'm thinking that the reason was that it was too much in 2005 to release a live CD AND a DVD. It is nice to space things out. Maybe the other shows on this DVD are shot differently which I think is the case. Hey, I'm a happy camper.

Onto the HD vs. DVD debate, well I found a nice link over Christmas that was an interesting and informative read. There's three main things about making Blu Ray fully worth it - I will paraphrase here and I know a lot of people know about this type of stuff but here I go-

Tv Size - depending on how big the tv is makes a big difference (obviously lol)

Tv Resolution 720p vs. 1080p - you need 1080p to fully appreciate every pixel for Blu Ray

TV distance to viewer - if your tv is too close, things will look pixellated and so on.

http://reviews.cnet.com/720p-vs-1080p-hdtv/?tag=mncol;txt

The link is up above if you want to skim through it. I went to college for film and learned about all that stuff and still find it tough to keep up with and argue with people about. Simply it's about one's taste for a television.

Kristofor

PS I just noticed some posts about Monday being available and some other stuff.