The Pearl Jam Thread

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In celebration of their 20 year anniversary, Pearl Jam is set to release the feature film Pearl Jam Twenty, a definitive portrait of the band as told by Academy Award®-winning filmmaker and music journalist, Cameron Crowe. The captivating documentary gives fans and audiences an intimate first glimpse into Pearl Jam’s journey culled from more than 1,200 hours of rarely and never-before-seen footage, over 24 hours of recent interviews with the band, as well as live footage of their spellbinding concert performances."

"Pearl Jam Twenty will enjoy a unique, simultaneous worldwide theatrical release in select cities and venues in September and thereafter will roll out in an accelerated fashion. Abramorama, headed by Richard Abramowitz, who steered the theatrical campaigns for Anvil! The Story of Anvil and the Oscar®-nominated Exit Through The Gift Shop, is releasing the independent film in the U.S. with Arts Alliance Media, best known for their deft handling of Iron Maiden’s award-winning documentary Flight 666 and, more recently, Foo Fighters Back and Forth, handling the theatrical release overseas. The film’s U.S. television premiere will be Friday, October 21st at 9 p.m. (ET/PT), as part of the prestigious PBS “American Masters” series, airing during the first-ever PBS Arts Fall Festival. The soundtrack and DVD of the film will be released worldwide by Columbia Records/Sony Music Entertainment, with the soundtrack released simultaneous to the film in September and the DVD following with a release in October."

"Told in big themes and bold colors with blistering sound, Pearl Jam Twenty chronicles the years leading up to the band’s formation, the chaos that ensued soon-after being catapulted into superstardom, their step back from the spotlight with the instinct of self-preservation, and the creation of a trusted circle that would surround them—giving way to a work culture that would sustain them. The film celebrates the freedom that allows the band to make music without losing themselves, their fans, or the music lovers they’d always been."

“When I set out to make this film, my mission was to assemble the best-of-the best from Pearl Jam’s past and present and give audiences a visceral feeling of what it is to love music and to feel it deeply—to be inside the journey of a band that has carved their own path,” said Cameron Crowe. “There is only one band of their generation for which a film like this could even be made, and I’m honored to be the one given the opportunity to make it.”

"Crowe was among the band’s inner circle when they formed and has maintained a close friendship with the band since his days as a reporter for Rolling Stone in Seattle. Almost 20 years after the band’s inception, Eddie, Jeff, Stone and Mike gave their longtime friend the okay to raid the vault and assemble from it the story no one but those closest to them ever knew."

"As part of their year-long celebration, Pearl Jam is also releasing a Pearl Jam Twenty soundtrack and book of the same name, to accompany the film. The soundtrack is comprised of a selected track listing by Cameron Crowe—making the album a true companion piece to the film. Published by Simon & Schuster in the U.S. and Atlantic Books in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa, the Pearl Jam Twenty book is an aesthetically stunning chronicle of the band’s past two decades. Compiled and written by veteran music writer Jonathan Cohen with Mark Wilkerson, the book includes a foreword by Cameron Crowe (and material from all his own band interviews) as well as original interviews with Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, and Dave Grohl. In addition, the band recently announced tour dates in Canada in September as well as two shows in the U.S over Labor Day weekend at Alpine Valley outside of Chicago."

"After two-decades, Pearl Jam remains a giant musical force and one of the biggest and most magnetic touring acts in the world. With over 60 million albums sold worldwide, they continue to create and perform great music—all on their own terms. Pearl Jam is currently in the studio recording their 10th studio album, marking the bands’ second record released through their label, Monkeywrench Records.

In celebration of their 20 year anniversary, Pearl Jam is set to release the feature film Pearl Jam Twenty, a definitive portrait of the band as told by Academy Award®-winning filmmaker and music journalist, Cameron Crowe. The captivating documentary gives fans and audiences an intimate first glimpse into Pearl Jam’s journey culled from more than 1,200 hours of rarely and never-before-seen footage, over 24 hours of recent interviews with the band, as well as live footage of their spellbinding concert performances."

"Pearl Jam Twenty will enjoy a unique, simultaneous worldwide theatrical release in select cities and venues in September and thereafter will roll out in an accelerated fashion. Abramorama, headed by Richard Abramowitz, who steered the theatrical campaigns for Anvil! The Story of Anvil and the Oscar®-nominated Exit Through The Gift Shop, is releasing the independent film in the U.S. with Arts Alliance Media, best known for their deft handling of Iron Maiden’s award-winning documentary Flight 666 and, more recently, Foo Fighters Back and Forth, handling the theatrical release overseas. The film’s U.S. television premiere will be Friday, October 21st at 9 p.m. (ET/PT), as part of the prestigious PBS “American Masters” series, airing during the first-ever PBS Arts Fall Festival. The soundtrack and DVD of the film will be released worldwide by Columbia Records/Sony Music Entertainment, with the soundtrack released simultaneous to the film in September and the DVD following with a release in October."

"Told in big themes and bold colors with blistering sound, Pearl Jam Twenty chronicles the years leading up to the band’s formation, the chaos that ensued soon-after being catapulted into superstardom, their step back from the spotlight with the instinct of self-preservation, and the creation of a trusted circle that would surround them—giving way to a work culture that would sustain them. The film celebrates the freedom that allows the band to make music without losing themselves, their fans, or the music lovers they’d always been."

“When I set out to make this film, my mission was to assemble the best-of-the best from Pearl Jam’s past and present and give audiences a visceral feeling of what it is to love music and to feel it deeply—to be inside the journey of a band that has carved their own path,” said Cameron Crowe. “There is only one band of their generation for which a film like this could even be made, and I’m honored to be the one given the opportunity to make it.”

"Crowe was among the band’s inner circle when they formed and has maintained a close friendship with the band since his days as a reporter for Rolling Stone in Seattle. Almost 20 years after the band’s inception, Eddie, Jeff, Stone and Mike gave their longtime friend the okay to raid the vault and assemble from it the story no one but those closest to them ever knew."

"As part of their year-long celebration, Pearl Jam is also releasing a Pearl Jam Twenty soundtrack and book of the same name, to accompany the film. The soundtrack is comprised of a selected track listing by Cameron Crowe—making the album a true companion piece to the film. Published by Simon & Schuster in the U.S. and Atlantic Books in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa, the Pearl Jam Twenty book is an aesthetically stunning chronicle of the band’s past two decades. Compiled and written by veteran music writer Jonathan Cohen with Mark Wilkerson, the book includes a foreword by Cameron Crowe (and material from all his own band interviews) as well as original interviews with Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, and Dave Grohl. In addition, the band recently announced tour dates in Canada in September as well as two shows in the U.S over Labor Day weekend at Alpine Valley outside of Chicago."

"After two-decades, Pearl Jam remains a giant musical force and one of the biggest and most magnetic touring acts in the world. With over 60 million albums sold worldwide, they continue to create and perform great music—all on their own terms. Pearl Jam is currently in the studio recording their 10th studio album, marking the bands’ second record released through their label, Monkeywrench Records.

I'm actually excited about this. If the soundtrack for this is like for any of Crowe's other films, it won't be just packaged with hits, but will probably feature rare and alternate versions, as well as unreleased tracks. I wonder if the former drummers, especially Jack Irons, are being interviewed or will be featured.

By the way, I was listening to the talk show on the Pearl Jam channel on XM, can't remember what it's called, but it sounds like their ticketing system broke down in the midst of these presales. I'm would have to guess this what it was about as they are not touring extensively this year and I didn't hear the whole story. Anybody else heard about this. Although this is nowhere near the fiasco they had with ticketing back in '95 in their dispute with Ticketmaster, it is still a frustrating situation for them as they try to honor the loyalty of their long term fans.

I don't know anything about the Pearl Jam system but things were quite odd here in Ottawa. I was trying to grab a single ticket, during a presale and the public onsale. I tried for quite some time and not one floor ticket came up the whole time - not even a single floor at the back of the hall. If you look at Stubhub, nobody has floors for sale for that show. And at one point during a non-10 Club presale here, a message started popping up stating that the limit for the Pearl Jam presale was 2 tickets. No clue why the Pearl Jam presale would be an issue on the Ottawa ticket system (Capital Tickets). So I think they have held all of the floors back at least.

Just got done watching the Vedder DVD. Great stuff! Anybody know the name of the gal who sings "Golden State" with Eddie?

haven't seen it, but he does that song with Corin Tucker from Sleater-Kinney usually

haven't seen it, but he does that song with Corin Tucker from Sleater-Kinney usually

I think it is Eliza Jane Barnes, who is the musical partner of Liam Finn who toured with Eddie on many of his solo tours.

I think it is Eliza Jane Barnes, who is the musical partner of Liam Finn who toured with Eddie on many of his solo tours.

ah. thanks!

that would have been my second guess based on that tour ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I caught two EV solo shows in hartford and night 1 at the beacon. Hartford was nice but EV was on top of his game for the Beacon. Neil Finn!

Eddie Vedder

Beacon Theater, New York, NY

June 21, 2011

Show 1 Set List

01. Sleeping By Myself

02. Without You

03. Goodbye

04. Can't Keep

05. Light Today

06. You're True

07. Long Road

08. Sometimes

09. Betterman

10. I Am Mine

11. Millworker

12. No Ceiling

13. Far Behind

14. Long Nights w/ Glen Hansard

15. Guaranteed

16. Rise

17. Just Breathe w/ string quartet

18. The End w/ string quartet

19. Unthought Known

20. Arc

Encore Break 1

21. Wishlist

22. Sleepless Nights w/ Glen Hansard

23. Society w/ Glen Hansard

24. Throw Your Arms Around Me w/ Neil Finn

25. I Got You w/ Neil Finn

26. Lukin

27. Porch

Encore Break 2

28. Hard Sun w/ Glen Hansard & Neil Finn

29. Dream A Little Dream

the scuttlebutt is that someone pulled a permit for a 3 day stretch at Fenway for a concert, and pearl jam is the prime suspect.

yup

gonna be a lot of unhappy folks that shelled out $$$$$$$$$$ for PJ20 if that goes down

the scuttlebutt is that someone pulled a permit for a 3 day stretch at Fenway for a concert, and pearl jam is the prime suspect.

Seems like that would be McCartney. He's playing baseball stadiums, sometimes multiple nights.

It was just announced that it is Dropkick Murphys and Mighty Bosstones. Don't have it in me to add some more Mightys.

I'm kind of happy that it isn't Pearl Jam. I saw The Police there and sat at the 1st base line and had an ok time. I spent most of the time watching the screens and felt far away.

It was interesting though because Pearl Jam did in fact have those 3 days off during their tour in September.

Patrons of a Wrigleyville bar were treated to an impromptu performance by Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder after the Cubs-San Francisco Giants game Thursday.

Beth Murphy, co-owner of Murphy’s Bleachers just beyond Wrigley Field’s famous scoreboard, convinced Vedder to perform during the open mic night, she said.

He was on his way out and he wanted a hot dog,” Murphy said. “I told him hot dogs take about seven minutes, and I told him that’s enough time for two songs.”

Vedder “didn’t hesitate much,” Murphy said, and took the stage to sing Cubs tribute “All the Way” and Neil Young’s “Rockin’ in the Free World.”

“It was great — we had all our regulars in here,” Murphy said. “We had real Murphy’s people in here, and they just went crazy.”

Harold Share, 63, of Wrigleyville, is a frequent patron who was thrilled to see Vedder perform, he said.

“He just got up and started singing,” Share said. “You don’t expect to see something like that, not on a game day at Wrigley. It was awesome.”

Vedder sang “Take Me Out to the Ball Game” with former Cub Jose Cardenal during the earlier game and then spent four hours at the bar, Murphy said.

“Eddie’s come here for many years,” Murphy said. “He considers Murphy’s a second home.”

Eddie's originally from Illinois, but last I heard he still lived in Seattle. It's been quite a while since I was paying much attention to that sort of thing, so I suppose he could have moved back there.

Eddie's originally from Illinois, but last I heard he still lived in Seattle. It's been quite a while since I was paying much attention to that sort of thing, so I suppose he could have moved back there.

I don't think he moved back - he played the Chicago Theater last week. The song he wrote about the Cubs is pretty cheesy - but then again the Cubs are pretty cheesy.

I don't think he moved back - he played the Chicago Theater last week.

I also would assume that's the case.

On only a semi-related note, I ordered the Songbook edition of Mr. Vedder's new album back in May. It was supposed to ship in "June" (no date given), and it appears the 10 Club still doesn't have the item in their hands. No updates were given - I found this out by scouring the Pearl Jam message board.

It disgusts me that such a successful band's organization can be so unorganized. Is an email update or a post on their website so hard? Not to mention that the year is half way through and the 2010 "Holiday" single is still nowhere to be seen, and it's been over a year since the last newsletter was sent out. I've been a member of the Ten Club since 1998, and it's hard to imagine giving up on them, but when renewal time comes I may very well be done. The system has never been perfect throughout the years I've been a member, but despite a HUGE price hike things are continuing to get worse. I'd rather give my money to the smaller bands/record labels who provide better service (and better music, as of late).

Okay, I'm done ranting. Just needed to get that out of my system!

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure how to post video files on here now.

Anyways, great looking trailer with a favorite film director of mine getting the first words in. I was surprised at that. This and the U2/Davis Guggenheim Achtung Baby doc play at the Toronto International Film Fest in September.