Wilco heard while you're out and about

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.avclub.com/new-oscars-teaser-confirms-the-bear-will-be-back-and-se-1850217739     New tag line for VC:  "music nerds of a certain vintage".      

It was a birthday surprise for the co-host Matt Spiegel (for those who don't know he is in a great cover band called Tributosaurus).

Wait til you get a couple episodes further… 

Posted Images

This has probably been mentioned before. But I was watching the movie "He's Just Not That Into You" with my wife -- yes, I know, I'm sorry -- and "I Must Be High" was playing during a scene in a bar. Then during the closing credits I forwarded to the songs, to see if they received their just credit. I pretended I was interested in some other song. Yes, I pretended to be normal. Ha ha ha ha ha. Ha.

You Never Know while getting my nails done, And the DJ told a funny story about how he saw someone wearng a Wilco t-shirt and gave him the "That's Cool" Sign -- but the Wilco-tshirt wearing guy look at the DJ as is he was a mental case.

Maybe the Wiclo-tshirt wearing guy is reading this right now....You never know...

"I'll Fight" at the coffee store in Kingston.

Hey everybody - sorry I've been away... just a lot of moving, changes in the life over the past year or two! Still as big a fan as ever though.

I got a last minute ticket to see U2 on Saturday and Bono sang the first verse of Far, Far Away - ending on the words "kiss and ride on the CTA." They played it in some really bizaare U2-kind-of-way with a lot of high-pitched ambient guitar rocking going on and Bono completely changed the melody to the point I kept saying "is that? wait, is that really? huh, is Bono singing Far, Far Away? What's going on here?!?!?"

It was a cool show, obviously - just the whole experience of 60k+ fans surrounding a rock-and-roll spaceship screaming was great.

I got a last minute ticket to see U2 on Saturday and Bono sang the first verse of Far, Far Away - ending on the words "kiss and ride on the CTA." They played it in some really bizaare U2-kind-of-way with a lot of high-pitched ambient guitar rocking going on and Bono completely changed the melody to the point I kept saying "is that? wait, is that really? huh, is Bono singing Far, Far Away? What's going on here?!?!?"

I'm surprised that this hasn't gotten more of a mention here. I had the same reaction -- like, "Hey, this sounds familiar." "Holy crap, it is."

Of course, the "Kiss and ride on the CTA" part got everyone going, even if 99% of them had no idea that Bono was actually lifting that from another band.

Hey everybody - sorry I've been away... just a lot of moving, changes in the life over the past year or two! Still as big a fan as ever though.

It was a cool show, obviously - just the whole experience of 60k+ fans surrounding a rock-and-roll spaceship screaming was great.

Bono sometimes sings random lyrics from other songs in theirs. I don't think they were really playing Far, Far Away other than Bono's ramblings. It was fun! Did he really sing the rest of the verse? I didn't realize that.

He probably mentioned Chicago 30 times last night with enthusiastic wooing every time. There is also some IATTBYH footage in a U2 video, but I doubt the band had much to do with that.

Bono sometimes sings random lyrics from other songs in theirs. I don't think they were really playing Far, Far Away other than Bono's ramblings. It was fun! Did he really sing the rest of the verse? I didn't realize that.

He just wove some lines of the song into the intro to "Beautiful Day." Or maybe just a little bridge between the last song and "Beautiful Day." The band wasn't playing the song, exactly, any more than they're playing "Blackbird" when Bono sings some lines from "Blackbird," etc. And as the original poster pointed out, it wasn't even remotely the melody of "Far, Far Away." Bono sang the first two lines (between them he sang something else) and then maybe another line ... finishing up with "Kiss and ride on the CTA."

Guest Speed Racer

I was driving with my girlfriend this weekend and the radio came on in the middle of "You Never Know," at the "secret I can't tell" part. She has apparently been trying to listen to Wilco in an effort to honor my obsession with the band, and sang out, "It's a long, heavy hell, senny hi zeh my bell..." :wub

He just wove some lines of the song into the intro to "Beautiful Day." Or maybe just a little bridge between the last song and "Beautiful Day." The band wasn't playing the song, exactly, any more than they're playing "Blackbird" when Bono sings some lines from "Blackbird," etc. And as the original poster pointed out, it wasn't even remotely the melody of "Far, Far Away." Bono sang the first two lines (between them he sang something else) and then maybe another line ... finishing up with "Kiss and ride on the CTA."

I was reminded of

"This song is not a rebel song"

"Jesus, Jay!"

Nifty! (Welcome back, by the way!)

He probably mentioned Chicago 30 times last night with enthusiastic wooing every time. There is also some IATTBYH footage in a U2 video, but I doubt the band had much to do with that.

Pretty good video of it:

Wasn't sure where to post this, but it involves Wilco, being out and about, and it certainly would have been heard, so this thread'll do....

This is possibly the most exciting thing to happen in Cromwell since "Snowy" Craddock's best ram escaped from the top paddock and ran through the middle of town back in 1952....

Will (not) comply with orders to "stay"!!

Wasn't sure where to post this, but it involves Wilco, being out and about, and it certainly would have been heard, so this thread'll do....

This is possibly the most exciting thing to happen in Cromwell since "Snowy" Craddock's best ram escaped from the top paddock and ran through the middle of town back in 1952....

Will (not) comply with orders to "stay"!!

Hilarious! He looks like he's been arrested and read his rights!

Hey Folks,

Well, I listened to the 1st U2 Chicago show live over the internet as it happened. Someone calls from the show and it shows up on some website called

Mikes1000. Sound isn't the best, but you can make out each song.

So, as mentioned, before Beautiful Day Bono sang part of Far Far Away. And he did it on both nights. When I listened live on Saturday night I almost shit my pants than I forgot about it because it didn't get listed on the U2 fansites. But they just updated it now and I'm glad that I wasn't imagining things.

My best friend and his brother went to the show. I don't think they caught it. I texted them though to test their memory. My best friend remembers it now.

That is all.

http://www.u2gigs.com/Far_Far_Away-s713.html

Bono is such a fake, I wouldn't be surprised if he hired somebody to find out a hometown reference at each gig.

It's funny that he mentioned Wilco as two of the last three times I've seen Wilco in Dublin Jeff was slagging him off.