• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of Peter Wolf either. He's opening up for Tom Petty this summer. A friend of mine saw him at the local music venue down the road from me (Tupelo Music Hall, Londonderry, NH). He loves his music.

I'm not a fan of Peter Wolf either. He's opening up for Tom Petty this summer. A friend of mine saw him at the local music venue down the road from me (Tupelo Music Hall, Londonderry, NH). He loves his music.

He'll have the catalog at the festival with the most radio hits: Love Stinks, Must of Got Lost, Centerfold (the latter he probably won't play).

There is a really great NPR Tiny Desk of Big Thief that I've been listening to for weeks now.  So happy to see them on the lineup!  Kevin Morby is going to be a real treat.  Seeing Andy Shauf on the lineup made me actually do a little dance  :dancing .  Also happy to see the limiting of blankets on JF.  Don't mind chairs so much, but you can't take up an 6'x8' space and get pissy if someone steps on your blankie.  

Big Thief - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0E5vMkDfOI

Kevin Morby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cyL3O4z80M

I guess I'm in the minority but I'm underwhelmed at the lineup, I guess in a way it's kinda nice because I'm pretty sure none of those acts will have their own draw, to each his own I guess.  I may end up missing the whole thing this year, I was told yesterday that the room I thought was reserved for me, the place my friends and I have always stayed at is now run by someone else who didn't reserve the rooms for us even though the old manager had set them aside and told the new one about us.  The whole no chairs or blankets thing is kinda icing on the cake, it's gonna make the whole field thing a high stress situation, having a blanket and chairs are kinda nice for when you need to go to the bathroom or get a bite to eat or find friends or in my case guard a mic stand from drunks.  I see the other point of view, I just don't agree with it, no I don't think you can show up at showtime and take the space I've been occupying for the last few hours, is walking around chairs and blankets a pain in the ass, sure, but I think it's a small price to pay.

I guess I'm in the minority but I'm underwhelmed at the lineup, I guess in a way it's kinda nice because I'm pretty sure none of those acts will have their own draw, to each his own I guess.  I may end up missing the whole thing this year, I was told yesterday that the room I thought was reserved for me, the place my friends and I have always stayed at is now run by someone else who didn't reserve the rooms for us even though the old manager had set them aside and told the new one about us.  The whole no chairs or blankets thing is kinda icing on the cake, it's gonna make the whole field thing a high stress situation, having a blanket and chairs are kinda nice for when you need to go to the bathroom or get a bite to eat or find friends or in my case guard a mic stand from drunks.  I see the other point of view, I just don't agree with it, no I don't think you can show up at showtime and take the space I've been occupying for the last few hours, is walking around chairs and blankets a pain in the ass, sure, but I think it's a small price to pay.

I agree with most of this, except I still have a reservation. Other than Television, and somewhat Kurt Vile (who I recently saw in Boston), underwhelmed by the non-Wilco acts. Underwhelmed because I'm not familiar with them, so I'll go with open ears and check em out. It's always such a good scene. Would be interested to know what other comedians will be in the comedy cabaret, my wife usually spends most of Saturday there. 

Definitely concerned to see how the no blankets/no chairs between stage and soundboard plays out. I don't get what everyone's problem is, people usually have low slung chairs and everyone stands when Wilco comes on, so lots of room opens up. We're just supposed to stand all day/night, or sit on the grass/mud? Or be on the sides? I don't buy that. 

Has anyone noticed that if you click on the sun (yellow dot) at the bottom of the page on the Solid Sound website it takes you to a full Wilco concert? I'll need to check that out when I get home. Sorry if it's been brought up already. I just saw it.

Has anyone noticed that if you click on the sun (yellow dot) at the bottom of the page on the Solid Sound website it takes you to a full Wilco concert? I'll need to check that out when I get home. Sorry if it's been brought up already. I just saw it.

I hadn't noticed. That's the Brussels concert from the end of last year. Excellent show, pro shot video. Definitely worth checking out. Nice the way they snuck that in there. 

I am not going this year, so I suppose it does not matter, but in 2015 a chair was very helpful to me being able to keep my spot at the rail. Granted, I stayed there basically the entire time Friday and Saturday. I only ventured away for William Tyler and to do the drumming with Glenn. I always had somebody there though in the space. I also protected spaces for my friends. There were a few instances of people being kind of rude about it, but over all it worked out well. 

Without the chair though, I would not have been able to physically maintain that spot, so if I were going this year it would have been a bummer. 

People with fast legs, good luck. That line-up is super awesome. 

I'm glad I got to go to 1 SSF. It was a one time thing. 

I don't think anyone is banning chairs from the site, but when they come on stage and the first 15 rows or so are chairs then it's really not fair that others are kept so far from the stage. Also people who show up when gates open and just leave chairs there, while wandering around are not playing the game. At the folk festival in Ottawa (which Wilco played 2015) there is a space reserved for chairs that is behind what would be "the pit", this works much better than blocking the area immediately in front of the stage. If you are unable to physically maintain a spot at the front then you need to find an easier area to enjoy the show from.

It will be interesting to see how (if?) they manage the restricted area between the stage and the soundboard.

I am not super jazzed by the lineup, but I am not underwhelmed either. A little disappointed that some acts are not there that I thought might be. Television and Wilco are the highlights for me. Kurt Vile, Kevin Morby - I'll enjoy these. I am looking forward to seeing Big Thief, Deep Sea Diver, and several others. Love seeing Autumn Defense at every SS.

I have yet to go to a SS where I did not leave with a few new (to me) bands to listen to and see again later (Mac Demarco, Foxygen, Real Estate, Parquet Courts, Lucius, etc.).

Solid sound ride share from Boston.

I am thinking of renting a car and hoped I could get some other SolidSound attendees who need to get to North Adams from Boston to chip in and share the ride. I may start a new topic on this but I thought I would try it out here first.

Anyone interested or are there any better alternatives for transportation? My first SS and I know very little about the area.

I wonder if Peter Wolf and the Midnight Travelers might be the opening band for Friday night. It seems like a veteran band has been utilized in the past for this slot. If so, I'm hoping that Kelly Hogan will be part of the Midnight Travelers. Kelly has provided vocals on a Peter solo record lately and it would be great to see her perform at Solid Sound! In the last few months, I've enjoyed her performing with Andrew Bird, Drive By Truckers and Alejandro Escovado/Minus 5. I'm looking forward to seeing her band The Flat Five opening for Wilco at the Chicago Theater on Wednesday!

This lineup is simply amazing and I couldn't be happier!  :bounce8

Any of you unfamiliar with Kevin Morby may want to spend some time now getting familiar. You are in for a real treat. Try "Singing Saw"! Mesmerizing music.

Thanks for suggesting Kevin Morby. I just watched the Tiny Desk Concert and I loved it. I have 'Singing Saw" on order!

I wonder if Peter Wolf and the Midnight Travelers might be the opening band for Friday night. It seems like a veteran band has been utilized in the past for this slot. If so, I'm hoping that Kelly Hogan will be part of the Midnight Travelers. Kelly has provided vocals on a Peter solo record lately and it would be great to see her perform at Solid Sound! In the last few months, I've enjoyed her performing with Andrew Bird, Drive By Truckers and Alejandro Escovado/Minus 5. I'm looking forward to seeing her band The Flat Five opening for Wilco at the Chicago Theater on Wednesday!

I am pretty sure Kelly Hogan was at SS3, part of Neko Case's band. Not 100% positive, though.