Wilco heard while you're out and about

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was a birthday surprise for the co-host Matt Spiegel (for those who don't know he is in a great cover band called Tributosaurus).

https://www.avclub.com/new-oscars-teaser-confirms-the-bear-will-be-back-and-se-1850217739     New tag line for VC:  "music nerds of a certain vintage".      

At a Strand of Oaks show last weekend, Pat Finnerty (who now plays guitar for Strand of Oaks and also does the “Why This Song Stinks” podcast) opened the show for SoA by playing random covers that the

Posted Images

At yesterday's (Jan. 26) Live From Here taping at Chicago's Symphony Center, host Chris Thile, guest Gaby Moreno and the LFH house band covered Shake It Off. Although it's not one of my personal favorites, it reminded me how long it's been since I've heard that one...

• 3 weeks later...

Far, Far Away in Kiefer Sutherland's directorial debut Truth Or Consequences, N.M.

I'm going through a 90s post Pulp Fiction phase. Interestingly enough the song is only credited as "written by Jeff Tweedy". There's no mention of Wilco, but it's practically the whole song from Being There.

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this counts as "out and about," but I was watching Windy City Flip on TV on Saturday and they said Wilco wrote and recorded a song from YHF in the house they were renovating.  It was a house in Ukranian Village.  Maybe Jay Bennett's house?

Not sure if this counts as "out and about," but I was watching Windy City Flip on TV on Saturday and they said Wilco wrote and recorded a song from YHF in the house they were renovating.  It was a house in Ukranian Village.  Maybe Jay Bennett's house?

Interesting - hadn't heard that before. Do we have an address? Song? I live closeby

Interesting - hadn't heard that before. Do we have an address? Song? I live closeby

Don't know the street or address, but it's this house, and it looks like this episode will air again next week. In the pre-rehab segment of the show there are a couple electric guitars and an amp in the living room, so it could be that the Wilco-related person was still living there.

p16433811_e_v11_aa.jpg

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/windy-city-rehab/episodes/historical-headache

Yeah, I saw this too, it was an out of left field mention. I also wonder if they were just making it up since... well, reality TV. I really hope if any VC'ers are going to living room shows or Loft tours, they ask Jeff about this! 

Yeah, I saw this too, it was an out of left field mention. I also wonder if they were just making it up since... well, reality TV. I really hope if any VC'ers are going to living room shows or Loft tours, they ask Jeff about this! 

I found it believable. Having been in bands, there are houses all over Atlanta where I've practiced, played house shows, recorded, etc.  Even when I've had a dedicated practice space (as close as I'll ever come to having a "The Loft"), I still ended up playing in people's houses all the time.  I don't think it'd be all that much different for Jeff or for Wilco.  

Don't know the street or address, but it's this house, and it looks like this episode will air again next week. In the pre-rehab segment of the show there are a couple electric guitars and an amp in the living room, so it could be that the Wilco-related person was still living there.

p16433811_e_v11_aa.jpg

https://www.hgtv.com/shows/windy-city-rehab/episodes/historical-headache

Pretty sure that house is at 2123 W. Thomas in Chicago. Guess it could have been Bennett's place - his studio Pieholden Suite Sound was about 5 blocks south of this house. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't hear Wilco out and about as much anymore, but I had a pretty fun Wilco dream last night.  They were onstage, and the songs had new arrangements.  Or maybe they were new songs, but it felt like rearranged old songs.  I believe I even remember thinking that I liked their new take on whatever the song was.  One was a song that Nels solos on, and his solo was just two really loud notes that slid downward and segued into an almost inaudibly quiet keyboard solo that was also just a note or two, but all together it lasted long enough to make a really satisfying musical statement.  Jeff did a "YES, that was awesome!" hand gesture at that point.  Then Pat sang lead on a song, or maybe it was that same song after the keyboard solo.  But it might not have been Pat.  It might have been a new guy, or a guest.  But he was very Pat-ish. I really liked the song and woke up remembering it pretty vividly for a moment, but most of the details disappeared really fast.  It was kind of wordy, in a talk-singing style. The lyrics were probably straight out of whatever I've been thinking lately.  I seemed to connect with the lyrics.  Maybe it was some version of me singing with them. I don't think of myself as very Pat-ish, but what are you gonna do?  It's a dream.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday, as I walked along the Chicago Riverwalk, The Northman seemed to be playing nothing but Wilco, heard I If Ever Was a Child and Heavy Metal Drummer, the latter while walking west with the Marina Towers in the background. Kinda cool.

Not Wilco, but it still feels right to mention hearing: "Graveyard Shift" tonight in a local, independent restaurant. It was part of a playlist created by the owner.