Wilco heard while you're out and about

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.avclub.com/new-oscars-teaser-confirms-the-bear-will-be-back-and-se-1850217739     New tag line for VC:  "music nerds of a certain vintage".      

It was a birthday surprise for the co-host Matt Spiegel (for those who don't know he is in a great cover band called Tributosaurus).

Wait til you get a couple episodes further… 

Posted Images

Not "heard while you're out and about" but an excellent Wilco reference: today I received an email from a health info management company that administers a site where you can access lab/test results ordered by your physician. The email announced updates to the site which you could opt-in to access by logging in with a special password/phrase. Mine was "I was chewing gum for something to do"

My 20 year-old daughter flew to Spain by herself last night; apparently an unpleasant experience with heavy turbulence and and a kid who kept raising and lowering his seat, hitting her in the knees all night.  She switched plains in Madrid to fly to Seville and Air Iberia played "Jesus, etc." and "Please Be Patient With Me."  Jess said it was a real comfort after a crappy flight.

• 3 months later...

I'll Fight starts playing at the end of the season finale of Love, which is a new Netflix show. Not surprising, it's a Judd Apatow series, he featured the band in Funny People. 

Which reminded me, I haven't listened to WTA in ages, I didn't even recognize the opening guitar bit.

I'll Fight starts playing at the end of the season finale of Love, which is a new Netflix show. Not surprising, it's a Judd Apatow series, he featured the band in Funny People. 

Which reminded me, I haven't listened to WTA in ages, I didn't even recognize the opening guitar bit.

We watched the Steve Jobs movie yesterday.  Didn't Apatow write that?  I thought he did, and had my ears perked for a Wilco tune somewhere during the movie but never heard one.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that was Aaron Sorkin who wrote Steve Jobs. Great film though! No Wilco but lots of Dylan songs and references.

Another new Netflix show called Flaked, which I suggest everyone watches because it's fantastic, features Tweedy's Flowering. 

• 5 weeks later...

I was pretty stoked, I'm a huge Sporting KC soccer fan as well and last night they had their 20th anniversary throwback match. Well I get down to my seat and stop in my tracks as I hear "Outtasite (outta mind)" being played throughout the stadium as one of their throwback musical selections from '96. I pretty much lost my S. I did not expect that to make the playlist! 

Driving around town today, I heard "I Might" on WCLZ in Portland, Maine. WCLZ is a solid adult alternative station. They have not sprinkled in much Wilco in the past year or two, so it was nice to hear some.

It was also good for an eye roll from one of my 17-year-old daughters as we drove in the minivan (dad rock in the minivan - what else would you expect?). Of course, she then asked if we could put on some Taylor Swift.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Heard "Outtasite (Outta Mind)" at my local Weis grocery store this afternoon. I considered this a Fathers Day nod from the boys. Thanks guys!

Not heard but read.  I was in a waiting room and there was a Rolling Stone from a few months ago that had an article about Ethan Hawke which said:  

"Then came some tough times. In 2003, Hawke and Thurman split, followed by a lonesome stretch in which he retreated to an island cabin in Nova Scotia and drove around in the rain listening to Wilco's A Ghost is Born."