My Morning Jacket...

Not that it makes a huge difference, esp. if you don't like the sound of the choir in general, but it was actually a group of women in the choir, no children. I thought it was a group of kids also. Here are the actual singers from the recent webcast concert:

http://www.youtube.com/user/FCMahgeetah?blend=13&ob=5#p/u/0/35Ex--5pl4w

Ah, well, doesn't change it for me. I just don't like those vocals.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the new record is amazing. Love every track. Jim has stepped it up. Hope they swing back East in the Spring.

new record coming. I unfortunately missed this tour, but have watched lots of live vids. This band is just relentless. I've always loved Jim's writing & singing, the whole band is now right up the

My wife and I saw them in Santa Barbara and they were just ON FIRE. We have seen them lots of times including NYE in Denver, Red Rocks, Jazzfest in NOLA and multiple times around LA - this show was am

Ah, well, doesn't change it for me. I just don't like those vocals.

I have warmed up to this song a bit. i imagine they will play it tonight.

interested to hear the new songs live.

I have warmed up to this song a bit. i imagine they will play it tonight.

interested to hear the new songs live.

Maybe I will too. I'm just now getting on the Evil Urges train, even if it's just a few tracks. I loved Z, but was really hard-headed about their early, twangy, reverb-y material. I wasn't sure if I liked the new direction they were going in, but I'm starting to come around.

I swear I'm the most conflicted MMJ fan (maybe that means I'm not a real fan). I just can'y put my finger on how I feel about them. Great live show, and It Still Moves is a statement. However a lot of their recorded output sounds like amateur hour in terms of sound/production.

I think this is where not having a very sophisticated ear when it comes to production actually works for me! I love "At Dawn" and "The Tennessee Fire", the records that seem to draw the most criticism regarding production/sound.

There are only 3 or 4 songs on "Circuital" that I really like and don't skip. I hope that this will change after hearing some of the others live at the end of the month (3 days after Solid Sound!)

I think this is where not having a very sophisticated ear when it comes to production actually works for me! I love "At Dawn" and "The Tennessee Fire", the records that seem to draw the most criticism regarding production/sound.

There are only 3 or 4 songs on "Circuital" that I really like and don't skip. I hope that this will change after hearing some of the others live at the end of the month (3 days after Solid Sound!)

I feel the same way...I love their first three albums, which seem to get derided as a whole. I feel that, for the most part, they have gotten worse with each album since. They just don't do it for me like they did when their first three albums came out. I have never seen them live, which I would gladly remedy if they would just play a little closer to home.

Drive a car down a state highway in the middle of the night listening to "It Still Moves". If you still don't enjoy it, invest your time in another band. That's just my advice.

update: just got the time to listen to this album like this, and i'll admit that it's pretty good.

i've also been working on z. i wouldn't call myself a fan just yet, but i def like both these albums.

i have not listened to the new one as of yet. i want to get there first.

Finally listened to this. Unfortunately, it's pretty terrible. Overall, it has been a pretty abysmal year for music (with a few exceptions, of course).

Well, this is YOUR opinion.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one....and yours kinda stinks" - or at least the way you presented it.

Just got home from the MMJ show at the Orpheum. Total heaviosity!

Most of the new stuff was pretty good live. But it was the pre-"Evil Urges" stuff (with the exception of "Smokin' From Shootin'" and "I'm Amazed") that made the show.

Well, this is YOUR opinion.

"Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one....and yours kinda stinks" - or at least the way you presented it.

Does my opinion put a damper your enjoyment of the new album? Otherwise, I'm not sure why you take such offense.

i'll admit it does amuse me when people try and claim it's been a TERRIBLE YEAR FOR MUSIC. it happens with some people every year, no matter what.

as if to write off the year completely for everyone who listens to music because you haven't clicked with many albums you love in a given year.

not saying you're implying that bleedorange, but it does come off that way often when people try and make that declaration.

whereas, i've got 15-20 albums so far this year i've considered good enough to purchase, and there's probably a half dozen that i absolutely love. so if the rest of the year pans out similarly, that's not unlike most years for me personally. i usually buy 25-35 albums a year on average i'd say.

i'll admit it does amuse me when people try and claim it's been a TERRIBLE YEAR FOR MUSIC. it happens with some people every year, no matter what.

as if to write off the year completely for everyone who listens to music because you haven't clicked with many albums you love in a given year.

not saying you're implying that bleedorange, but it does come off that way often when people try and make that declaration.

whereas, i've got 15-20 albums so far this year i've considered good enough to purchase, and there's probably a half dozen that i absolutely love. so if the rest of the year pans out similarly, that's not unlike most years for me personally. i usually buy 25-35 albums a year on average i'd say.

Like I said previously, my impressions of the year so far are based solely on the fact that there hasn't been any albums I just absolutely love. There have been a lot I really like, but nothing that I think will stick with me beyond a few weeks or months. That could obviously change, but if I compare years of music to each other, I look mainly at quality rather than quantity. Plus, a lot of bands I would consider near the top of my favorites list have put out duds this year.

right, i just think it's a bit silly/premature to bother declaring that until the year is over is all. *shrug*

honestly there's probably only 1 album every 2-3 years that truly BLOWS ME AWAY and is head and shoulders above everything in that given year.

right, i just think it's a bit silly/premature to bother declaring that until the year is over is all. *shrug*

honestly there's probably only 1 album every 2-3 years that truly BLOWS ME AWAY and is head and shoulders above everything in that given year.

I wasn't though. Up to this point, in my opinion, it hasn't been a great year for music. That's all. I hope it does turn around. Bon Iver certainly helped things out by coming through.

And I think there is a category between "blowing me away" and "liking a lot" that this year--so far--lacks.

gotcha. as much as i do adore the new Bon Iver, it's not exactly new territory for me musically/sonically, so the chances it had of truly "blowing me away" were already limited somewhat.

there's a ton of great artists releasing albums in September, so i think it'll be a strong 2nd half

• 2 weeks later...

i made a declaration to myself with this board to only post positive comments. I get tired of the negativity on the interwebs. I'm breaking that. I've already stated on this thread that I am a lukewarm MMJ fan, who happens to revisit evil urges more than any other album of theirs. that being that, I just gave one listen (so this could change) to the new one, and i am struggling to understand what happened. One song (Beautiful, the way i feel) kept my attention. the lyrics are bad by already shaky mmj standards. man o man this is a mind blower of how off this record is. ??? jim's voice doesn't even sound right. who knows?

i made a declaration to myself with this board to only post positive comments. I get tired of the negativity on the interwebs. I'm breaking that. I've already stated on this thread that I am a lukewarm MMJ fan, who happens to revisit evil urges more than any other album of theirs. that being that, I just gave one listen (so this could change) to the new one, and i am struggling to understand what happened. One song (Beautiful, the way i feel) kept my attention. the lyrics are bad by already shaky mmj standards. man o man this is a mind blower of how off this record is. ??? jim's voice doesn't even sound right. who knows?

it doesn't help your cause that you don't even know the name of the song you liked haha.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like Neko and MMJ teamed up for a duet of "Islands in the stream" (you can watch it on pitchfork), unfortunately I can't watch it hear at work. Not my fave song but I would love to see them do it. I would have loved for Neko to open when I saw them last week, Amos Lee was a snoozer for me.

Looks like Neko and MMJ teamed up for a duet of "Islands in the stream" (you can watch it on pitchfork), unfortunately I can't watch it hear at work. Not my fave song but I would love to see them do it. I would have loved for Neko to open when I saw them last week, Amos Lee was a snoozer for me.

I was there! That duet was pretty darned adorable!

I thought Neko did a fine job as an opener, but unfortunately there was a lot of talking during her set (and a super tall guy that was standing in the middle of my view of her). I'd like to see her in a theater rather than an outdoor venue full of dudes who are ready to rock out to MMJ. She got a fair share of respect from the audience, but something felt off.

MMJ was absolutely incredible. This was my second time seeing them, but I was still blown away. There's nothing like standing in the middle of a packed crowd where almost every single person is howling along to "Wordless Chorus." It's such a great emotional release to participate in a show like that. I really needed that!